Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 - wow, it includes software for Perkins and handwriting input :)

Not so much a question but a cool accessibility feature that will hopefully be useful for other users too.

iOS 8 includes built-in options for configuring on-screen Perkins input layouts. Really, really cool for Braille writers. 😍

I first got it configured on iPhone, but now - yay - I got it also working on iPad.

Hereʻs a fresh screenshot https://twitter.com/Unuhinuii/status/555156029105635328

I got it finally working; first get used to VoiceOver, then in the Rotary options youʻll find either Input method or Braille or in which case just keep switching thru options. Itʻll give you tabletop mode, handheld or vertical or I forgot which others... essentially youʻll have 123 and 456 on the sides, OR 3 2 1 and 4 5 6 as youʻd get them on Perkins. You can always recalibrate them positioning your fingers on 1-6 on screen, and also if the dots move too far while typing, switch between the two Perkins modes by having the device either on desktop or paper mode (vertical or horizontal does the trick easiest).

And you can also move the angles, so the paper mode can be upside down.

So you can get your hands comfortably where ever you want for typing, and the dots will move with you. I recommend headphones if you have to type a lot.

There was also an option in the same place in Rotary for recognizing handwriting. So you can use your fingers to draw regular letters. Another great feature for those whoʻll find typing otherwise difficult. I havenʻt really seen that since Newtons.

iPad Mini, iOS 8, VoiceOver, Braille

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 4:57 PM

1 reply

Jan 15, 2015 8:22 AM in response to dev0

I got it working a bit better.

Keep calibrating it (touch all 6 dots together; sometimes all right hand fingers, then immediately left hand fingers).

Keep moving and calibrating it. Because using it will slowly move the dots at least in the beginning.

If you type a lot, use headphones. And try all different modes

landscape

tabletop mode

screen away mode

portrait mode

In tabletop (Perkins)

Space = swipe to right

Delete = swipe to left

Row change - ????? (in any mode: havenʻt found yet)

Also VO on/off as the accessibility shortcut helps a lot in figuring where and how to type.

When you get the typing feedback letter by letter, itʻs easier to type the words or sentences. And itʻll be easy to start to practice UEB (and the other two forms of contracted Braille listed; US English, UK English).

iOS 8 - wow, it includes software for Perkins and handwriting input :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.