Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup iTunes for a classroom

HI Forum...

I am an elementary school music teacher and am looking for an easy way to setup a lab of cast off computers and new ones combined. My intended use for this lab is to run listening stations via iTunes for kids to listen to songs on and answer questions and in the future use a program like Finale Note Pad which helps them write music. I have been going to each computer with a flash drive, deleting old songs, and loading the songs. I would like to do the following...

--load songs remotely, or have each computer access a different list of songs

--prevent the student computers from modifying info on the songs

--limit the access to other applications using parental controls (I have this one done, but it may interfere with some ideas)

These computers are all on the school's network and I would like to run them in Simple Finder and they can't have access to any other music but the music they need for the assignment. The kids using these will be as young as 2nd and 3rd graders and up to middle school so the appropriateness of the music and computer skills are a factor. What I have for the middle schoolers is not ok for the 8 year olds. I can either put on and take off songs (preferably by remote) or use different logins.

SO, here is the interesting part:

I am using 6 student computers

4G4 macs running 10.5.8

G4 Digital Audio running 10.5.8 1GB ram

G4 Gigabit running 10.5.8 1 GB

G4 933 MHz running 10.5.8 1GB

G4 mirrored drive door running 10.5.8 1.5GB

1 Mac mini running Yosemite

1 I mac running 10.5.8

and the computer that has all the music files is my teacher computer, 2009 MacBook running Yosemite

there is also an iPad2 that the students are using

any way I can make this easy and remote? Am I going to run into problems with the max number of machines that can play the music?

thank you

joey

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 GIGE

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 8:30 PM

Create a master playlist on the teacher's computer and share it via regular library sharing over the network. It will appear on each student's iTunes as a shared library. Students cannot modify it.

Music Sharing - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2688

4 replies

Jan 14, 2015 1:03 PM in response to Limnos

thats a a great idea, however, I am looking for a way to do a seperate playlist at each computer. I don't believe you can specify an individual playlist for each computer. The host computer only specifies which playlist to share and not who each individual playlist gets shared with. Or does it?

How to setup iTunes for a classroom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.