Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage stopped working.

Yesterday, I was no longer able to send messages on my ipod touch (3rd gen running iOS 5.1.1. I have used this on wifi netowrks for years, but nothing will now send. If I start a new message to someone who is on apple's imessage network, the name in the To: field is red with the exclamation. No one can send to me either.

This is what I have tried:

logging out of imessage

signing back in

shutting the ipod off and turning it back on.

forgetting and rejoining the network.

wiping all settings (but keeping data) and restarting the ipod

deleting all data on the ipod

setting the ipod up new and signing into imessage

restoring from a backup

None of the above worked or helped the situation.

I have turned imessages on with an ipad and am able to send and receive messages.

WHile logged into imessage on the ipad, I get a message that an ipod is now using my imessage account when I sign in with the ipod...

Did apple kill imessage in iOS 5.1.1? How should I try to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 7:54 PM

9 replies

Mar 19, 2015 10:30 AM in response to NewReality

I have an old iPod Touch with old software that can no longer be updated:

iOS version 6.1.6

I've been searching for a solution to my iMessage login problem for months and tried everything from those frustrating links and all the tips from other users.

Here is what finally worked:

1) Settings > Privacy > Location Services > On

2) Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Automatically > On

3) Reboot device until Apple logo appears

4) Settings > Messages > Sign In

Mar 19, 2015 7:01 PM in response to Lemonly

I have the same problem - iMessage was working fine for a long time on my iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6.

It stopped working today.

I restored to factory defaults, and tried many many steps including Lemonly's to no success.

I successfully log in - I can select the email address(es) to use for iMessage, then it acts like it is verifying, then it goes back to the login page.

Very frustrating. Anyone know of changes on Apple's side of the iMessage system? Is iOS 6 no longer supported?

imessage stopped working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.