Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini cannot activate iMessage or facetime

Help - I cannot activate iMessage or FaceTime on my iPad mini. I have tried all the suggested solutions of resetting network settings, resetting all settings, changing password, restarting (multiple times) and nothing works. my time zone is automatically set and location services are on. I get different messages either, iMessage failed to activate. Try again. Or check network settings.

ANy suggestions gratefully received.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 8:29 PM

Have you read through these documents:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages - Apple Support

iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime - Apple Support

9 replies

Jan 13, 2015 8:48 PM in response to Melfon1975

What do you mean your device isn't eligible. The inability to activate iMessage is not a warranty issue. When you call, tell them it has to do with activation of iMessage. The known solutions are those listed. There are other reasons you cannot get activated that require Apple's intervention.

Are you using a supported carrier? Activation requires the phone to send a hidden SMS to the servers in the UK to activate, and if you do not have international texting on your phone plan, your carrier can block that activation SMS.

Jan 26, 2015 9:19 PM in response to Melfon1975

Time zone fixed this for me. I was having issues logging into Twitter account on iPad mini and directed me to set my time zone. Once I set the Time Zone to Set Automatically Twitter, iMessage and FaceTime worked.

Did the following:

• Go to Privacy
  • Location Services
  • System Services
  • Turn on “Setting Time Zone”
  • Go to General
  • Select Date/Time
  • Turn on Time zone “set automatically”

Hope this helps

iPad mini cannot activate iMessage or facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.