Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting or Archiving Email

I am planning to decommission one of my Machines, which I have been using in one form or another for 12 years. All I have been doing with it for the last 4 is check email and even then, not much - I have been using a different machine mainly, but there is a lot of mail I just want to archive and have handy.

I want to move all my emails to the main machine, and while I have figured out how to do this, and did successfully with one accounts mbox, the other one only shows as being 2kb in size in it's location (user>>library>>mail>>POPFolder)

All the messages are there if you look in Mail itself. This makes me think that this is not the correct POP folder, but I can see no others.

Trying to archive the mailbox and import that to the new machine kind of worked, but it only archived a small portion of the emails.

the machine that I am moving from is PowerPC G4 running 10.5.8 and it is using Mail 3.6(936)

Is there another way that I am missing, have I done something wrong?

Thanks

Craig

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 9:43 PM

1 reply

Jan 14, 2015 10:10 AM in response to craig stewart

Hi Craig,

To archive it...

On Mail...

First Quit Mail, then I'd backup these two Mail folders, by right clicking on them in the Finder, then choose Archive/Compress.

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail Downloads

(Could be a different folder here if you chose such in Mail Prefs)

Right click on that Mail folder, choose archive, you'll get everything in the folder, and the folder itself in a file called Mail.zip, move it to a safe place, same for the Mail Downloads folder... only the plist is separate.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

But when you went to import, did you try choosing the whole Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail folder to show all choices?

Exporting or Archiving Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.