You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Carplay/Pioneer sph-da120 Problems

Does anybody else have any problems with Apple Carplay on the Pioneer SPH-DA120 head unit? I have issues with my connection dropping constantly. I have replaced and checked the connecting wires and have the latest updates on both my Pioneer unit and my iPhone 5s. The bluetooth hands free system is fine, It just seems to be when I am connected by the Lightning cable I have trouble with Maps staying on for more than a few minutes and making a call via the phone app on car play. In theory the carplay is fantastic but in practice its not been good for me.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want the hassle of returning the unit.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 1:50 AM

38 replies

Apr 11, 2017 5:57 PM in response to OCCA_Kevin

Hi, I just install theSPH-DA120 myself two days ago and had the same problem. Everything worked, but it would not connect to CarPlay. I just got it working. I went through the settings on the head unit and had it do a complete reset. When it was done, it plugged in my phone and CarPlay popped up immediately. I know this is few months out from your issue so I hope you got yours going as well

Nov 14, 2017 12:49 PM in response to dps78

I found my SPH-DA 120 completely unstable. Getting the dreaded ERROR 02-60 after a period of time of use. And my iPhone 6 and recently iPhone X just disconnecting after 20 - 40 mins of use and then displaying its not recognised on reconnect. etc...

The fix. I just didn't pair the phone via bluetooth. I was use to previous AppRadio's 1 & 3 where you HAD to pair your phone via bluetooth for it to work. You don't on the SPH-DA120. And all the phone disconnecting and 02-60 errors have vanished. Being it uses the phone functions over the lightening cable and not bluetooth.

So Pioneer REALLY needs to fix the conflict with the head unit having an iPhone connected via lightening cable and it also paired with the headunit at the same time via bluetooth. :-/

Jan 30, 2015 4:05 AM in response to dps78

Hi, I have a similar problem too, a little bit worse maybe... Latest firmware version on both iPhone and SPH-DA120 but when connecting them the Carplay doesn't start. If I do the same with another iPhone from a friend it works really good. Anyone knows what might be the cause??

I bought my iPhone on New York and it's working in Spain, could that be a reason??

Any help would be fantastic!!!

Mar 23, 2015 6:37 AM in response to dps78

I have a similar problem. My iPhone 5 sometimes (three seperate times) won't connect to Carplay. I would turn on the headunit. The phone would turn on and request my passcode to access Carplay (my phone is always on lock mode) and the Carplay icon would appear on my phone but the head unit would say something along the lines of "Attempting to connect to Carplay" and the message display would turn off but never connect. Everything else works fine in the headunit except Carplay. I would turn on and off the heading several time to see if its a glitch but nothing worked.

I was ****** and tired that night so I went to bed with my mind to call pioneer in the morning. Before picking up the phone that morning, I decided to turn off and on my phone to see if I can boot my phone system (perhaps my phone was the one causing this issue) and sure enough I plugged my phone and Carplay was fully connect and functioning.

I never experience drops from Carplay mode of any kind in my few weeks with this headunit. I absolutely love the AppRadio 4. My only two gripes is that this connection with Carplay is becoming a serious issue and there is this very specific speck of dust that lies within the LCD screen of the headunit which really bugs. I'm slightly an OCD nut so this rubs me the wrong way. I tried returning this headunit for another, but it seem like the other unit had the same issue (in a different location of the screen.

Anyone here has this same problem, a speck of dust within the LCD screen of the headunit?

May 1, 2015 10:49 PM in response to dps78

Headunit: Pioneer AVX-X8750BT (firmware V.103)

iPhone 6 Plus (firmware 8.3)

Both phone and head unit on most current firmware as of May 2, 2015.

I'm also experiencing connection dropping issues on my car. There were times when I'm able to use the apple map with voice guidance but no sound when playing music from iTunes. And other times when playing songs the volume suddenly dropped to a much smaller level. All issues mentioned above could be eliminated after restarting phone or restarting the headunit.

May 26, 2015 7:51 AM in response to dps78

I recently got some issues with Apple CarPlay (on my Pioneer AppRadio 4 SPH-DA120) and iOS 8.3. I want to drop my information here, because I found this thread while searching for my problem:

• Version 1.08 is a pre-installed version on Pioneer AppRadio 4 and not publicly available. Even the Pioneer employees were surprised, because they neither find this version on their website nor on their server. The currently available firmware is 1.07 and downloadable through the Support Page of Pioneer Electronics.
  • CarPlay does not not work on the SPH-DA120 if its not plugged in the upper USB port. You can check this from the main menu of the Pioneer: there are two different buttons for both USB ports, make sure USB 1 is activated.
  • CarPlay does not work if the settings point to "Smartphone" instead of "iPhone/iPod". You can check this in the settings for connecting / setup your smartphone. It must point to "iPhone/iPod" and the connectivity type "USB". (This setting may reset if you disconnect your Pioneer from the power source, which could be the case when you bring your car to service. Make sure you always check this, if there are any issues with CarPlay not starting, even if the iPhone correctly recognises the CarPlay unit.)
  • In iOS 8.3 there were some updates and fixes for Apple CarPlay so make sure you updated to the latest version of iOS and the Pioneer which is 1.07 or 1.08.

Jun 9, 2015 12:00 PM in response to mavrick3

I got some same things going on here, iPhone 6 running 8.3 and pioneer SPH-DA120 v1.08

When i connect the iphone I can use iPod functionality but there is nowhere an option to be found for CarPlay. The "top menu/bar" on my iPhone turns blue for a brief moment (just like when there is tethering), goes back to normal after a while.

SPH-DA120 does not find any option for CarPlay, I have double checked all settings and they are good (iphone/ipod device, usb connection (no digital a/v)), even rested my iPhone without any result.

Edit: Lightning cable is directly connected to USB1 on the SPH-DA120.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Maarten

Apple Carplay/Pioneer sph-da120 Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.