Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get info./guidelines/regulations on developing a virtual keyboard for IOS?

How do I get info./guidelines/regulations on developing a virtual keyboard for IOS?

iOS 8

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 6:34 AM

Start here Custom Keyboard part of the IOS App Extension Programming Guide which os part of iOS Developer Program - Apple Developer

9 replies

Feb 12, 2015 4:27 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi Frank, Thanks for the links, they're most useful to help us start developing. Do you know if we need to get special permission from Apple to develop a soft keyboard that's usable at OS level, as opposed to app. level only. The links you gave us provide guidelines on what we need to do and provide for in our solution. Does this imply that we can proceed and when completed, and, I assumed, evaluated, be able to offer it in Apple Store?

If not, and we do need to get prior approval, from which department and whom do we seek.

Will this dept/persons be able to speak regrading the Apple watch? Or would it be a different dept/person?

Thanks again.

Mar 6, 2015 6:59 AM in response to bobteo

Seems fairly straight forward given the links supplied by Frank Caggiano

From the first link:

A custom keyboard replaces the system keyboard for users who want capabilities such as a novel text input method or the ability to enter text in a language not otherwise supported in iOS. The essential function of a custom keyboard is simple: Respond to taps, gestures, or other input events and provide text, in the form of an unattributed

NSString
object, at the text insertion point of the current text input object.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN

Make sure a custom, systemwide keyboard is indeed what you want to develop. To provide a fully custom keyboard for just your app or to supplement the system keyboard with custom keys in just your app, the iOS SDK provides other, better options. Read about custom input views and input accessory views in Custom Views for Data Input in Text Programming Guide for iOS.

After a user chooses a custom keyboard, it becomes the keyboard for every app the user opens. For this reason, a keyboard you create must, at minimum, provide certain base features. Most important, your keyboard must allow the user to switch to another keyboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.