Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keynote won't recognize new installed fonts

Hi there,

I use FontExplorer to manage my fonts and occasionally Typekit of Adobe.

But for some reason some fonts show up in Keynote and others won't. I already checked and all the fonts are OTF, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Tried placing them in System/Library/FOnts and also install them using Fontbook with FontExplorer off. But still nothing works.

When I open an old Keynote presentation with correctly installed fonts it will show up in the font list of that presentation. When I copy paste the font in a newly made one it will just show a blank space in the font list of Keynote.

I can use the fonts in all applications except Keynote and Pages, so it seems an iWork problem. Which is a pity since Keynote used to work well before they came with the latest Keynote.

Anyone has any tips or solutions for this bug?

Most people at work here have this problem with Keynote so it isn't isolated to just my computer and seems like a serious issue and greatly limits the use of the program.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), MacbookPro Retina

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 9:19 AM

Thanks for the tip. Already found a workaround till they fix this bug.

If you open your font list from Format > Fonts > Show Fonts (⌘T) you can select most fonts you've installed but won't show up in Keynote itself.

Still testing if this works for OTF, TTF etc...)

11 replies

Jul 7, 2016 12:40 PM in response to DesmondG

I have the same issue, and perhaps I'm going far out on a limb, but I noticed when I did the command+T trick, that I didn't see the font I was looking for there either... UNTIL I changed the collection on the left from "English" to "All". "English" is a default smart collection in Font Book. Perhaps all these iWork apps use the "English" collection in Font Book, so that the font list is being wasted showing you all those foreign fonts that I'm never going to use. Thing is, not all fonts are created with the correct metadata, and so Font Book isn't picking up all the fonts that don't fall into the "English" criteria.

Apr 21, 2016 3:22 AM in response to salvaestudio

Only if I install the fonts in the system I can see in Keynote.

That is the correct thing to do.Correct

I do not want to install fonts on the system. Are many fonts.

Then you are not managing the fonts correctly.

You should disable and enable fonts as you require, that is what Font Book is for:

User uploaded file

This method works for me with all applications such as Adobe or Cinema 4D but no Keynote. ¿Why?

All Fonts, whether Adobe or other font collections require the fonts to be installed in the correct folder.

If you want to Manage Fonts for use in Keynote, install and manage them correctly with Font Book.

May 10, 2016 4:10 AM in response to txbobsa

The easiest work-around is to open pages and type what you want in pages and select the font. Copy and paste into keynote. Once it is in Keynote you can manipulate the size, color, etc using your preferred font....But Apple...PLEASE fix this annoying bug!!!!

As the original poster says "I can use the fonts in all applications except Keynote and Pages"

keynote won't recognize new installed fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.