Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iRig input level for vocal mic extremely low

Hi All,

I have ben merrily using my iRig and Garageband for Ipad to record instrumental tracks with no problem, but recently decided to try and add vocals. Just to test it out I bought an imitation SM58 style dynamic mic, with an XLR to jack lead so I could use the iRig, however when I go to use it, the audio/input level for the mic is VERY low - any ideas as to why this might be? I've turned the track volume and input up to maximum but it's still barely audible. Suspect it might be the mic, so tempted to spend some real money on a condenser mic, but worried I will get the same result. Are there any alternatives / success stories with recording vocals through Garageband, and what are you using?

Thanks

Nick

iPad Air

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 8:10 AM

2 replies

Jan 14, 2015 8:17 AM in response to GrizzlySticks

I have used the Shure SM58 and many microphones similar to it in studio and live settings, and that microphone requires what is called Phantom Power when it is run through a mixing board. In a nutshell, Phantom Power runs 48 volts on the channel the microphone is in, because that microphone only sends a passive signal and it needs to be powered. So the reason your microphone would put out such a low level would probably be because there's not a substantial for your iRig to pick up, even at maximum gain. I would look into purchasing a phantom power unit or some other preamp that you can put between your iRig and microphone.

Mar 30, 2015 8:49 PM in response to BrendanBrendanK

No no no, don't try running electricity through an sm58! It is not a powered mic. I've not used the irig but I do have the line6 which is also quiet directly plugging in an sm58. You need a preamp to boost the audio, there are apps that will do this or small battery operated units. a cond mmic is powered so won't have the same problem though you will also need to supply power to it if it's not a USB one.

iRig input level for vocal mic extremely low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.