Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone gets very hot when charging. Apple can't help.

So my iPhone 5S gets very hot when charging, when I get up at 6:00 my iPhone is dead by lunch with minimal usage. I thought maybe it was some app or E-Mail task causing it to overheat so I restored and just configured it via Welcome Screen, no accounts no apps. Still after 7 hours of standby it only has 7% charge, 6 minute usage. So I made an appointment at the Apple Store and they ran diagnostic and said the battery is fine but I could still get it swapped for 75 euro, but he doeesnt recommend since battery is fine. So I said okay thanks for your time since there is nothing they really can do I guess. I don't have Apple Care and the iPhone become 1 year old in Nov.

Is there any other tips you may have? Otherwise before it causes a fire I will just send it to apple recycling.

thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 9:32 AM

2 replies

Jan 14, 2015 12:37 PM in response to j0shi

Set it up as new device, don't use the latest backup and set up the rest manually.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

If the phone still gets hot during charging the battery, this must be hardware related.

Your options in that case would be paying the Out-Of-Warranty-Service fee for getting the phone replaced:

Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for out-of-warranty (OOW) service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

Model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 6 Plus 331,10 €
iPhone 6 297,10 €
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c,
iPhone 5
261,10 €
iPhone 4s 211,10 €
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G
161,10 €

The Out-of-Warranty Service fee includes an 12,10 € shipping fee, which applies only if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in euro and include VAT. iPhone out-of-warranty service may also be available from your wireless carrier. Pricing may vary.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorisation for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

copied from Service Answer Center - iPhone

Jan 14, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Ingo2711

Yes, I tried all that! I thought the EU it was 2 years warranty? For the price of the repairs I might as well just buy one off of ebay.... Maybe they would treat me better? Apple themselves say they do one year warranty and the seller does the next in the EU, so how come Apple who is also the seller forcing me to pay for repairs I had nothing to do with damage-wise?

iPhone gets very hot when charging. Apple can't help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.