Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Patches from Garageband Library?

I am a little new to Garageband but I believe that there are more patches available than the ones that I am seeing (see screenshot). At one time, I thought there were piano & strings patches (as well as others). I attempted to "Restore Sound Library" and a download was started but after the download and install and restarting Garageband, nothing really seemed to change. Does anyone know why I am only seeing 3 patch categories available (Voice, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar and Bass)?

User uploaded file

GarageBand 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 11:35 AM

The patches you are seeing will depend on the kind of the track you selected. Do you have a real instrument track selected or a software instrument track?

I attempted to "Restore Sound Library" and a download was started but after the download and install and restarting Garageband, nothing really seemed to change.

You should at least see more loops. And you need to restart the Mac, not only GarageBand, to see if something has been installed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2015 11:35 AM in response to mix0mat0sis

The patches you are seeing will depend on the kind of the track you selected. Do you have a real instrument track selected or a software instrument track?

I attempted to "Restore Sound Library" and a download was started but after the download and install and restarting Garageband, nothing really seemed to change.

You should at least see more loops. And you need to restart the Mac, not only GarageBand, to see if something has been installed.

May 27, 2015 6:27 PM in response to léonie

Hi, I have a major Garageband 10 project based on what I believe is a Logic synth patch called Lalaria Pad. I had previously been a Garageband 6 ('11) user, and then I updated to Garageband X under Mavericks. The many synth patches were still available, I think in the "legacy" category. I paid $5, I think, for a large download last fall.

Well, Monday I upgrade to Yosemite with a clean install, for complicated reasons. I reinstalled what is apparently the "Yosemite version" of Garageband X, as it no longer shows the Legacy instruments. Or, possibly, the software is the very same, but my clean install ate the legacy instruments that had been present from my earlier Garageband 6 install. Whatever the cause, the old stuff seems not to be present in the new install. I have used the "restore downloads" function, which brought back many loops and drummers I needed, but the sweet old synth items are still missing.

So, I went to an older Mac, which still has Garageband 6, and upon which I never downloaded any extras. Lalaria Pad shows there clearly in the Synth Textures menu under Software Instruments. When I click it, it tells me it will download the instruments via "software update" and then launches the Mac OS App Store, which proceeds NOT to download anything at all.

Any suggestions at all? I thought if I could get the old machine to download the patches, I'd just surgically move them to the Yosemite Mac to see if that would work.

May 31, 2015 7:10 PM in response to LeGable

Hi LeGable,

Or, possibly, the software is the very same, but my clean install ate the legacy instruments that had been present from my earlier Garageband 6 install.

Yes, that's most likely what happened when you did the clean install of the OS.

GarageBand 6 (iLife '11) needs to be installed to have access to the "Legacy" menu in the patch library in GarageBand 10. (Both versions can be run at the same time.)

So, I went to an older Mac, which still has Garageband 6, and upon which I never downloaded any extras.

There is likely a menu item in GarageBand 6's "GarageBand" menu for downloading the extras.

I'd just surgically move them to the Yosemite Mac to see if that would work.

Do you happen to have a Time Machine backup that includes the files that were installed with GB 6? If so, you could selectively restore them.

FYI:

GarageBand 6 places related files in your Library folder within your Home directory:

(*hold Option key and select “Library” from the Finder’s “Go” menu)

Home directory > Library > Application Support > GarageBand

GarageBand 10 places related files in your Music folder within your Home directory:

Home directory > Music > Audio Music Apps

- Craig

Jun 4, 2015 10:03 AM in response to CraigInTheBox

Craig, thanks for all the confirmations and pointers. Incredibly useful!

• I'll look for an old GB6 installer in my installer backups. Also didn't see it online from Apple anywhere. Any idea if it's still downloadable?
  • Have been having feisty trouble with my Time Machine backups since the clean reinstall, so it's hard to search there. TM doesn't want to play nicely with the backup, since it doesn't relate to the new clean install, I assume.

LeGable

Missing Patches from Garageband Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.