Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to change computer used with Apple TV

After downloading Yosemite, my iMac does not connect to my Apple TV (via Airport Express) I have wanted to change

the "control" computer to my MacBook Air (also with Yosemite) for a while but now it is urgent and I can't figure out how.

Apple TV (3rd generation), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 10:57 AM

8 replies

Jan 16, 2015 11:00 PM in response to vazandrew

It's not a network error. It's worked fine for years, and now has magically stopped right after Yosemite update.

And if you look through the forums there are HEAPS of people with Home sharing issues, all after Yosemite and itunes 12.

The 100+ me too people on similar threads not enough? Like this one: Apple TV cannot connect to iTunes library on MacBook Pro after upgrade to Yosemite/iTunes 12

Jan 17, 2015 2:24 AM in response to bcpstarsky

bcpstarsky wrote:

It's not a network error. It's worked fine for years, and now has magically stopped right after Yosemite update.

And if you look through the forums there are HEAPS of people with Home sharing issues, all after Yosemite and itunes 12.

But that doesn't necessarily mean the problem is with Yosemite or iTunes 12. I have multiple Macs running both & they all work fine with my Apple TV 3, & "heaps" of other people also report similar results.

There are several possible causes for this issue that have nothing directly to do with Apple's software. Before assuming anything, I suggest at least working through the steps in Troubleshooting Home Sharing - Apple Support, & double-checking that all the relevant settings are still what they are supposed to be (because sometimes updating the OS will change a setting).

Also, check to make sure any third party additions to the system are compatible with Yosemite, even ones that don't seem to have anything to do with networking, home sharing, etc., because these things sometimes interfere with updating/upgrading the system or modify system files in non-obvious ways.

Jan 17, 2015 3:03 PM in response to R C-R

R C-R. I have been through all of that. I have nothing running on the imac except itunes to host the library. I have done a clean build. I even trashed my library and started from scratch with minimal content. AND - it shares just fine off my windows PC perfectly every time. It's just the mini to apple tv, mini to air, and mini to ipad having issues.

I disabled home sharing and re-enabled it. It can see the library but fails to load it!

I have no firewall running on the mini or internal network. I even replaced my router.

It works for a short period, and then dies, then I need to rename the device in the system prefs.

It's not a networking or config issues.

And heaps of other people have reported the exact same thing after Yosemite and iTunes 12.

It's a bug, and is even reported repeatedly in Macrumors on the Yosemite bug forum.IT seems to affect Mini more than other devices

Trying to change computer used with Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.