Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert .VOB files

Specs on QT Pro say it will convert .VOB to .MOV so I bought the download. But when I try it QT says it doesn't recognize .VOB. How do you convert .VOB file to .mov?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 12:23 PM

8 replies

Jan 14, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Damoko

Specs on QT Pro say it will convert .VOB to .MOV so I bought the download. But when I try it QT says it doesn't recognize .VOB. How do you convert .VOB file to .mov?

QT 7 Pro recognizes the VOB file container but requires an MPEG-2 codec to play/convert the "muxed" MPEG-2 video and doesn't natively support AC3 audio commonly used in VOB files. On the other hand, the QT X player/embedded structure under Yosemite is now programmed to recognize the VOB file container, has its own MPEG-2 video codec, and supports AC3 audio. Opening VOB files in the QT X player will automatically convert the content to H.264/AAC content. In addition, you can also use the encoder now embedded in the Yosemite operating system to convert VOB files to either H.264/AAC or ProRes/LPCM content at the Finder level. Alternatively, the free HandBreak app can convert VIDEO_TS folder videos consisting of multiple VOB files as single files with or without their original chapter markers to H.264/AAC/AC3 content as may be desired, as well as, convert individual VOB files as individual videos or video segments as may be the case.

User uploaded file

Jan 14, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for your reply Jon. I'm running Yosemite, QT player with Pro upgrade. So here's what I'm trying to do...I have some older mini dvds with video that I want to import to imovie. I can download from the camera to (mini dvd) to my desktop. Here is an example of the file (VTS_03_1.VOB). But when I try to open with QT Player I get this error, "The document “VTS_03_1.VOB” could not be opened. QuickTime Player cannot open files of this type." So I'm not sure what to actually do.

I also saw that I needed MPEG Streamclip app but when I go to use it it says I need "QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component. for $20. I've already purchased the QT Pro upgrade and after investing over $50 I still cannot figure out how to actually convert these VOB files to MOV. (And this explanation is at the peak of my IT vocabulary and knowledge 😉 )

I appreciate any guidance you have.

Jan 14, 2015 3:59 PM in response to Damoko

I'm running Yosemite, QT player with Pro upgrade. So here's what I'm trying to do...I have some older mini dvds with video that I want to import to imovie. I can download from the camera to (mini dvd) to my desktop. Here is an example of the file (VTS_03_1.VOB). But when I try to open with QT Player I get this error, "The document “VTS_03_1.VOB” could not be opened. QuickTime Player cannot open files of this type." So I'm not sure what to actually do.

I also saw that I needed MPEG Streamclip app but when I go to use it it says I need "QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component. for $20. I've already purchased the QT Pro upgrade and after investing over $50 I still cannot figure out how to actually convert these VOB files to MOV. (And this explanation is at the peak of my IT vocabulary and knowledge )

Yosemite has two separate QT structures embedded in the operating system—classic QT 7 for the 32-bit QT 7 and QT 7 Pro player and another set of embedded structures that support the 64-bit, still evolving QT X player.

When you purchased the "Pro" key and applied it to your QT 7 player, you merely unlocked its editing capabilities. You did not add any new codecs to handle content not handled by the basic codecs installed as part of the Mac OS X installation and/or additional codecs as installed by the user. QT 7 does not support either MPEG-2 video or AC3 audio natively. If you wish to use QT 7 Pro to convert the "muxed" MPEG-2 video contained in the VOB file, then you will need to purchase the Apple MPEG-2 Playback Component. Even then, the audio may be in an unsupported compression format and you would have to use a separate third-party app like MPEG Streamclip to perform the the actual conversion—and it also requires the purchased codec.

The basic question here is, "Why do you insist on using QT 7 Pro to perform your conversion?" As stated above, if the file is a standard VOB file (i.e., contains "muxed" MPEG-2 video with either AC3 or LPCM audio), then why aren't you using the QT X player, Finder encoder, or a free third-party app to perform your conversions? If your VOB files will not convert using these alternatives, then the files are not "standard" VOB files. For instance, if you have an app like the free VLC media player installed on your system, do your VOB files open and play normally using it?

User uploaded file

May 12, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Orchardjoan

I have 3 dvd's which are .vob format. Is there a good and not expensive converter to imovie format? or format I can play on my ipad and imac?

If these are unencrypted DVDs (i.e., homemade), then you can use free HandBrake app to convert the "muxed" MPEG-2/PCM or MPEG-2/AC3 VOB files to MPEG-4/AAC or H.264/AAC files that are compatible with all versions of QT 7, QT X and QL; are edit compatible with current versions of iMovie; and can be played on any current Apple mobile device.

User uploaded file

Convert .VOB files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.