Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pull content from mail message & export to excel

I am a teacher who uses an online system to assign homework and quizzes.

As of right now, the finished HW/quizzes are emailed to me as a "results" email message.

I have a rule that sends all of these messages to a folder in my Mail app.

What I want to do is to extract the score from the content of the email and export it, preferably to Excel. I am going to post a screenshot of what these messages look like to give you an idea of what I'm saying:

User uploaded file

I am very flexible on how this is accomplished, but I thought making a rule in Mail would be good, telling it to run an AppleScript for all of these messages. What I don't know how to do is to pull the score out of the mail message and match it to the student name and export it to a text file or an excel file or something.

If someone could help me with this I would greatly, greatly, GREATLY appreciate it. I have searched a little on github and this site but I can't seem to find a script that meets my needs.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), mid-2012 MBA 13" 128G bought 8/12

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 1:32 PM

5 replies

Jan 14, 2015 11:07 PM in response to sirdanielm

Hello

What score are you trying to retrieve from the message? The "100" of "with a final grade of 100%"?

If so, will it suffice for the script to yield a CSV text file like the following for a collection of messages selected in Mail.app?

"Student Name","Score" "justin baker","100" "john smith","80" "jane bloggs","90" ...

Regards,

H

PS. Or other possibility would be:

"Student Name","Score","Correct","Incorrect","Unanswered" "justin baker","100",5,0,0 "john smith","60",3,1,1 "jane bloggs","80",4,1,0 ...

EDIT: added PS.

Jan 15, 2015 7:08 PM in response to sirdanielm

Hello

You may try the script listed below. To use it, select messages in Mail.app, run the script and it will hopefully generate an CSV file on desktop named after "scores_YYYY-MM-DD_HHMMSS.csv" with contents like the following.

"name","email","score","correct","incorrect","unanswered" "justin baker","hidden1@email.com","100%","5","0","0" "justin baker","hidden2@email.com","80%","4","0","1" "jane bloggs","hidden3@email.com","80%","4","0","1"

I included email field to distinguish students with the same name.

Briefly tested with Mail v4.6 under OS X 10.6.8.

* It may or may not work with your messages, for text returned by Mail.app can be different than my test data.

Hope this may help,

H

--APPLESCRIPT _main() on _main() set mm to {} tell application "Mail" repeat with m in (get selection) set mm's end to m's content & linefeed end repeat end tell set r to my _retrieve_data(mm) do shell script "printf '%s' " & r's quoted form & " > ~/desktop/$(date +scores_%F_%H%M%S.csv)" return r end _main on _retrieve_data(mm) (* list mm : list of message text *) script o property pp : mm property qq : {} property rr : {} property boundary : do shell script "uuidgen" without altering line endings -- UUID & LF property batch : 50 -- number of messages to be processed at once; combined text should not exceed ca. 200K -- divide messages into batches repeat with i from 1 to count my pp by batch set j to i + batch - 1 if j > (count my pp) then set j to -1 set my qq's end to my pp's items i thru j end repeat -- retrieve data per batch repeat with q in my qq set my rr's end to do shell script "perl -CSDA -w <<'EOF' - " & boundary's quoted form & " use strict; local $\\ = qq(\\n); local $, = qq(,); my $boundary = shift; my @data = (); my ($new, $complete, $i) = (1, 0, -1); while (<DATA>) { next if ! ($new ||= $_ =~ /^$boundary$/) && $complete; if ( $new ) { ($new, $complete) = (0, 0); ++$i; } /^Student Name:\\s*(.+?)\\s*$/o && do { $data[$i]{name} = $1; next; }; /^Student eMail Address:\\s*(.+?)\\s*$/o && do { $data[$i]{email} = $1; next; }; /with a final grade of ([0-9.]+%)/o && do { $data[$i]{score} = $1; next; }; /^ \\s* ([0-9]+) \\s* correct \\s* \\( [0-9.]+% \\)/ox && do { $data[$i]{correct} = $1; next; }; /^ \\s* ([0-9]+) \\s* incorrect \\s* \\( [0-9.]+% \\)/ox && do { $data[$i]{incorrect} = $1; next; }; /^ \\s* ([0-9]+) \\s* unanswered \\s* \\( [0-9.]+% \\)/ox && do { $data[$i]{unanswered} = $1; next; }; $complete = (0 + keys %{$data[$i]} == 6); } my @keys = ('name', 'email', 'score', 'correct', 'incorrect', 'unanswered'); print map { s/\"/\"\"/og; qq(\"$_\") } @keys; for (@data) { print map { $_ = '' unless defined $_; s/\"/\"\"/og; qq(\"$_\") } @{$_}{@keys}; } __END__ " & _join(q, boundary) & " EOF" without altering line endings end repeat -- combine data from each batch set r to my rr's item 1 -- include header repeat with i from 2 to count my rr -- exclude header for rest set r to r & my rr's item i's text from paragraph 2 to text -1 end repeat return r end script tell o to run end _retrieve_data on _join(tt, d) (* list tt : source list string d : separator return string : tt joined with d *) local astid0, t try set {astid0, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, {} & d} set t to "" & tt set AppleScript's text item delimiters to astid0 on error errs number errn set AppleScript's text item delimiters to astid0 error errs number errn end try return t end _join --END OF APPLESCRIPT

EDIT: modified code so that it may accept decimal percents.

pull content from mail message & export to excel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.