Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can bonjour service be traced or tracked?

hey i am using a Mac pro 13" 10.10.1 and i have this serious doubt that whether Bonjour service be traced or not since i use it very frequently....

iMessages-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Bonjour service

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 8:46 AM

4 replies

Jan 15, 2015 12:33 PM in response to nilesh6649

Hi,

If you enable the Finder's Preferences to Display "Servers" in the Shares then other Macs will display as Bonjour will find them.

It is what is called a Zero Configuration service.

As I said the initial step is normally to display other computers in the Finder's Side Bar.
Some Printers and other devices can also use Bonjour.

Older OS versions that have iChat and those that have Messages can have the Bonjour Account activated.

If there are other Computers on the LAN using iChat or Messages with the Bonjour Account active they will appear in your Bonjour Buddy List.

The "Name" they display as is taken from their Address Book (Contacts App) > My Card. You are displayed on their Buddy List as the Name in your My Card.

There can be issues if you have two or more Macs and have always set them up as Your Computer.

That is to say that when setting up the computer you created the first Admin Account as you which names the computer (System Preferences > Sharing) as Nile H's Computer for instance.

It also means that if you stated your Name that the first Card in the Contacts app or Address Book has your Details (the App > Card Menu > Show My Card).

There can be conflict in the Finder if the computers have the same Name and in iChat/Messages if the My Card is the same.

Bonjour is essentially LAN based only.

In fact iChat and Messages take this as far as any Subnet that might have been created. (LANs with two routers get divided into Subnets).

This means Bonjour does not work over the Internet in it's default state (you can create virtual networks to get around this).

User uploaded file

8:33 pm Thursday; January 15, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 16, 2015 1:25 PM in response to nilesh6649

Hi,

There is no server.

If there are Macs on your Network and Bonjour has not been disabled (see OS X: How to disable Bonjour service advertising without disabling DNS - Apple Support) then the Macs will "See" each other.

Most Home LANs would be a routing devices and then several computers.

In these cases the Bonjour data is on port 5353. See TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

Other more recent services on your Mac have been added to use this port.

If you happen to have a Server in the set up and are using Messages and the Bonjour account to send info back and forth it could be intercepted.

On the other hand as Bonjour is part of the default set up there would be other data packets just to keep the connection "Live" as it were.

I don't know if there is any encryption involved from the Messages app when using the Bonjour account.

User uploaded file

9:25 pm Friday; January 16, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

can bonjour service be traced or tracked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.