Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect LCIII to a PowerBook 1400cs/166

Hi! I have a Question. I have a PowerBook 1400cs/166 with a floppy working (OS 9.1) I Also have an LCiii with the floppy not working and no OS installed. I see that both has serial ports and other kind of ports. Once I boot from one mac to another but via FireWire cable but in more advanced macs. And Im just wondering... Is there any way to connect both macs LCiii and PowerBook 1400 to install the OS 7.1 in the LCiii again?

I have the images of 7.1 OS at the 1400cs/166.

Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, LCIII

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 11:40 AM

No. They do not have either the software or hardware that would work like TDM on modern Macs. It is possible to use a serial connection in order to transfer data from one modem to another. I have done that 20 or more years ago on CP/M, but never on old Apple computers. Were it possible both computers need to be able to boot. In your case one computer has no OS.

I would look for a working floppy to replace the one you have that doesn't work. You might try iFixIt.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Carloselvis

No. They do not have either the software or hardware that would work like TDM on modern Macs. It is possible to use a serial connection in order to transfer data from one modem to another. I have done that 20 or more years ago on CP/M, but never on old Apple computers. Were it possible both computers need to be able to boot. In your case one computer has no OS.

I would look for a working floppy to replace the one you have that doesn't work. You might try iFixIt.

Jan 15, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Carloselvis

Just some thoughts. It's been 15+ years since I saw a LCIII. 🙂

The nice thing about OS 7.1 is it can simply be copied from one computer to another. I do have memories of something called "enablers" which may have been required on certain machines but I don't remember exactly for LCIII (everymac.com might be a good place to check). I don't think there was the equivalent of Firewire Target Disk mode in those earlier computers. If you can find a SCSI enclosure somewhere you could try removing the drive from the LCIII and copy to it in the enclosure attached to a different computer.

Another consideration. Sometimes older computers have other issues such as capacitors gong bad with age. I don't know how to test for that but what's your objective in getting this to work?

Some cities have Mac Users Groups (MUGS) where you might find somebody who collects old parts and could give a hand. I'm not a member of one but I still have my cherished G3 mothballed in the basement. It could handle everything from low density floppy to USB and Firewire, SCSI to IDE/ATA, ethernet to Appletalk phonelink. *sigh*

Jan 15, 2015 6:37 PM in response to Carloselvis

Hi,

A PowerBook 1400 has the ability to work in SCSI Disk Mode (HD Target Mode), providing that a special adapter/cable is used.

See page 51ff in the manual (http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA762/en_US/0340070APB1400UMRV.pdf).

See also the following articles:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21592

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47615

Normally, SCSI Disk Mode is used to transfer files between a working desktop Mac (with a SCSI port) and a PowerBook acting as an external hard drive.

Jan

Jan 15, 2015 7:27 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy thanks a lot for your help! I think I fixed my LC III floppy (i clean it a lot) but my 7.1 disks are not working. It appeara this sign:

"the stratup disk Will no work on this Macintosh model. use the lastest installer to upgrade this disk for this model.system 7.1 does not work this model, you need a neser version that it does"

Is there any chance to download the LCIII system 7.1 disckettesand the enabler?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 15, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Carloselvis

Carlos,

It is more problematic than that. As I indicated above, SCSI Disk Mode (HD Target Mode) is intended for file transfers (when the desktop computer is running from its own operating system). In your case, the idea is to try to boot the LC III from a system folder on the PowerBook. I do not know whether it is at all possible to use a PowerBook's hard disk under SCSI Disk Mode (HD Target Mode) that way, as a startup disk for the other machine. If it were possible, one would have to find a way to bless an appropriate system folder on the PowerBook (the 9.1 cannot be used). Furthermore, one may have to consider the effects of a Mac OS Extended (HFS+) formatting. So, unless someone else knows about a workaround, it is probably wise to look for another solution.

Jan

Jan 15, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Carloselvis

Carlos,

The LC III needs a System Enabler 003 for System 7.1. With System 7.5, no enabler is required.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA28948

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47341

Unfortunately, Apple's older software downloads list does not appear to be available any more. So, it has become much more difficult to obtain system software (including enablers).

Jan

Connect LCIII to a PowerBook 1400cs/166

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.