Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule in extend the network mode

if i put my time capsule in extend the network mode via the wifi, can i plug my xbox into the lan ethernet port on the time capsule and have it get access to the internet?

Time capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 4:17 PM

21 replies

Jan 15, 2015 4:34 PM in response to Bob Timmons

i do i have the airport extreme broadcasting the wireless signal. then i have the time capsule in extend wifi signal mode. how come though when i disconnect the ethernet cord from my computer (thats connected to the wan port on the time capsule) i can't get internet? I'm connected to the wifi signal that its supposed to be extending still but can't load any pages such as google or Facebook or anything? only when i have the ethernet port in do i get internet access?

Jan 15, 2015 5:08 PM in response to sdsuaztec

A factory default reset will not affect the data on the Time Capsule hard drive in any way. It only resets the network settings on the Time Capsule so that it can be reconfigured again.

We can try a few other things first, but a factory default reset is usually required to get things working again when things are not working.

The newest operating system on the Mac is Yosemite......and it has a number of bugs. An iPad or iPhone....if you have one handy.....will do a better job of setting up the Time Capsule.

Jan 15, 2015 5:13 PM in response to sdsuaztec

what settings should i put in this time around to allow my computer to get internet via wifi and not just ethernet?

Sorry, I am confused by this statement. Power off the Time Capsule completely for now. Can the Mac connect using wireless to the AirPort Extreme?

If it can, then it will also connect using wireless when the Time Capsule is set up again.

But....your original question was......if i put my time capsule in extend the network mode via the wifi, can i plug my xbox into the lan ethernet port on the time capsule and have it get access to the internet?

Can you please list all of he things that you want to do, assuming that the Time Capsule is operating correctly?

Jan 15, 2015 5:18 PM in response to Bob Timmons

sorry that last reply i sent was in regards to my mac not being able to load google or Facebook or any websites unless its plugged in via ethernet. and it can connect wirelessly to the airport extreme but for some reason when i come out of the living room (where the airport extreme is) to my bedroom (where my time capsule is) it stops loading webpages but still says I'm connected. i want to have my time capsule extend my wifi network, and be able to plug my xbox into the time capsule via ethernet for xbox live, and i also have a wd my cloud that i would like hooked up via ethernet so i can access my files when I'm not at home through my phone. so basically just extend my wifi network, and get internet access to my xbox and put my wd my cloud nine via the ethernet ports) ill do the the factory default reset now.

Jan 15, 2015 5:28 PM in response to sdsuaztec

Before we try to set up the Time Capsule to "extend a wireless network", I would recommend that you first test the wireless connection quality where the Time Capsule will be located.

The Time Capsule can only "extend" the quality of wireless signal that it receives, and if it is too far away from the AirPort Extreme, things won't work.

If you have a Mac laptop and $5 to invest in a good wireless utility that will display SNR (Signal to Noise) accurately, it would be wise to first see what kind of signal that the Time Capsule will be receiving. (The "bars" at the top of the screen are worthless as far as determining signal quality.)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-scanner/id411680127?mt=12

Post back if you want to first determine what quality of signal that the Time Capsule will receive.

Jan 15, 2015 5:44 PM in response to sdsuaztec

Power off the Time Capsule completely.

Install the application on your laptop, then temporarily turn off the wireless on the laptop.

Move the laptop to the exact point where the Time Capsule will be located.

Turn the wireless back on at the laptop

Open WiFi Scanner and let it run a few minutes. Click the SSID Details tab in the center of the window. Look for the SNR figure in the lower right hand corner of the display....and post back with the number that you see.

User uploaded file

time capsule in extend the network mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.