Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem Extending Airport Extreme Network

Thank you in advance for any advice

Have 3 brand new Airport Extreme Base Stations - having problem extending the wifi network in a campus setting to allow for seamless roaming of clients between ap's

Base Station 1 is Master - set to Bridge Mode - connected to Verizon FiOs router via ethernet WAN port - upon initial set up, an older generation Airport Extreme config was copied over to this Base station

Issue: Suspect that there was build or config corruption as a result of the config copy from older Airport extreme ? - see below

Base Station 2 connected to network switch via ethernet WAN port & is configured to extend Base Station 1 using Wizard - the wizard appears to complete successfully but......

Issue: Base Station 2 Network Mode setting still shows "Create a wireless network" ....but should say Extend a wireless network

Issue #2: Clients seem to have to reconnect when roaming depending on which access point they are closest to, which suggests that the SSID has not been extended

Base Station 3 - connected to network switch via ethernet WAN port & attempted to configure to extend Base Station 1 using Wizard - FAIL

Issue: This brings the entire network down, makes all wifi inaccessible, have to power off Base Station 3 and powercycle Base Station 1 and 2 for everything to return to normal

Questions:

1. Should I be having this much trouble extending the wireless network ?
  2. Is it possible to extend a network with 2 access points off of one for a total of 3 access points ?
  3. Is the extension happening via wireless or via the ethernet connection ? there used to a be setting where the access points would link via ethernet has this gone away ?
  4. Are there any whitepapers that document best practices for deploying multiple access points in a campus environment to allow seamless roaming ?

Airport Extreme Base Station-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 5:49 PM

5 replies

Jan 15, 2015 6:51 PM in response to Eric Fowler

When all base stations are interconnected by Ethernet you do NOT want to use the "Extend an existing wireless network" option. Instead all base station should be configured as " Create a wireless network." That would be the basis for a roaming "extended" network. Since Base Station 1 is already connected to an existing router, ALL of your base stations should be configured in bridge mode.

I would recommend starting over. Be sure to perform a "factory default" reset on each base station, and then, you want to add them one at a time starting with base station 1 connected to the campus FIOS router.

For base station 1, it should be configured as a bridge and to "Create a wireless network." The Network Name (or SSID) must be the same for each base station. In addition, you must use the same security type (I recommend WPA2 Personal) and password on each base station. Use a unique base station name for each base station.

For base station 2 & 3, they too should be in bridge mode and set to "Create a wireless network."

Should I be having this much trouble extending the wireless network ?

It shouldn't, but anything is possible.

Is it possible to extend a network with 2 access points off of one for a total of 3 access points ?

Is it possible to extend a network with 2 access points off of one for a total of 3 access points ?

With AirPort routers there is basically two methods of "extending" a Wi-Fi network: 1) Dynamic extended using wireless connections between base stations, and 2) Roaming extended using wired connections between base stations.

With the first, think of the extended network as a wheel with the "main" (or base station to be extended) at the hub of this wheel and each extending base station on one of the wheel's spokes. You cannot "daisy-chain" base stations in this type of configuration.

With the second, you are creating a roaming network with each base station within another's wireless range to allow a seamless transition for a wireless client to roam between base stations.

Is the extension happening via wireless or via the ethernet connection ? there used to a be setting where the access points would link via ethernet has this gone away ?

Again, it could be either or a combination of both.

Are there any whitepapers that document best practices for deploying multiple access points in a campus environment to allow seamless roaming ?

There are but most, unfortunately, are outdated. Not sure when Apple will get to the task of updating them.

Jan 15, 2015 7:42 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax,

Thank you for your quick and detailed reply

Our current configuration appears to mirror the configuration you are recommending however...

Clients are not able to roam freely without having to completely re-associate to the access point they are closest to

All access points share the same SSID, Security type, Password etc.

It seems that when clients lose connection to the SSiD they were connected to and then walk and get closer to the 2nd or 3rd access point with stronger signal....the speed slows to a crawl and they are forced to re-associate

It really feels as though the Apple Airport Extremes don't manage the roaming handoff seamlessly enough for the clients to avoid getting confused about which AP they are associated with and feel the need to try and stay connected to the weaker signal - and in order to switch over to the stronger signal - a forced reassociation is required

I will add too that the simple reassociation is not just a matter of reselecting the SSID.....clients have to turn off wifi completely ....interrupting any file transfers that are happening and then turn wifi back on and reassociate completely .....

Painful and frustrating - and sometimes this fails - the only solution to reboot the closer AP with the stronger signal - weird

Thanks again for your input it is highly valued and much appreciated

Eric

Jan 15, 2015 7:55 PM in response to Eric Fowler

I don't have 3 AirPorts working together at the present time, but I do have two configured to operate as a roaming network, and have had this setup for the past 3 years or so.

Mac laptops will almost always automatically "switch" access points as they move from one side of the house to another.

But....the PCs that guests have brought when they visit will usually not automatically switch access points as they move from one area to another.

Likewise, the iPhones and iPad here will almost never switch access points as they move about.

In the case of the PCs and iOS devices, you have to switch off the WiFi when the device moves from one area to another, then turn the WiFi back on, and the device will usually then pick up the signal from the closest access point.

Prior to using the AirPorts, I had a couple of Cisco wireless access points and devices behaved the same way with them as they do with the Apple AirPorts....namely the Macs would almost always switch access points automatically as they moved about....but other devices would not.

If you have used other wireless access points that allow "roaming" with all types of devices....with no need to switch WiFi off and on as they move about from one access point to another......then the AirPorts are not for you, and you should use the access points that will provide the performance that you are looking for.

Jan 16, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Eric Fowler

This article seems to suggest Apple wireless clients have an inherent tendency to be sticky with SSID associations - waiting until the last possible moment to disassociate - further that Apple client wifi settings aren't configurable in order to force dis-association's and re-associations earlier when roaming

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000002277

Jan 16, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Eric Fowler

This article seems to suggest Apple wireless clients have an inherent tendency to be sticky with SSID associations - waiting until the last possible moment to disassociate

Which clients? If I walk my Mac laptop from one side of the house to the other, it will almost always switch wireless access points once I'm closer to the "other" access point with no further action needed. Just tried this again 3 times...and the laptop switched each time when it was about 2/3 of the way from the original access point to the other access point.

iPhone and iPads don't do this, as I mentioned above. And PCs that guests have used on the network here behave the same in general. I cannot say whether this is characteristic of the AirPort routers, but when I was using other access points from Cisco, the behavior was the same.

Unless you could get into the firmware on an AirPort access point.....practically impossible.....or do the same on an iPhone or iPad....again, practically impossible, not sure what else that you can do.

Problem Extending Airport Extreme Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.