Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 External Mic not working for Siri/Dictation

I am finding that the external mic on my iPhone 6 works for phone calls and voice memos, but does not work for Siri/Dictation. When I plug in the earbuds, they work for everything (including Siri/Dictation).

Was chatting to Apple support who had me reset all settings. I thought that worked, but realized that after a reset, Siri is off and I was talking to "Voice control" (which works). When I turned Siri back on, it does not work.

I have two questions for the community to see if you can help:

1- I have been assuming this must be a software problem since the mic does work for non-Siri access. But is that true? Is there a hardware component that Siri depends on which could be faulty here?

2- If it is software, what action should I try to address it? I have done a reset all settings already and that did not help.

Doug

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 5:08 PM

17 replies

Jul 22, 2017 9:47 AM in response to DougO

Having this issue on a 5s. Mic works for phone, but not Siri or dictation. I did just replace the screen, but I don't use Siri or dictation that much, so I can't be for sure if I was having this issue before the replacement or not. Still, I don't see how this could be a hardware issue if the mic works for the phone. Very weird.

Apr 9, 2015 12:32 PM in response to DougO

Hello, my iphone 6 plus has microphone issue also. I trouble shoot everything including reset network setting, all setting and reload backup from iCloud. The microphone on iPhone is still not picking up voice when I talk on the phone. The other party only hear heavy statics and my voice is extremely low and I need to yell at the phone. I tested with a few different friends and I was at different locations with same outcome, so it is not network or cellular issue. I tried bluetooth and Apple EarPods that came with the phone, no issue. And the Apple EarPods will fix the issue temporarily. The microphone will work for a day or two, then the issue will come back. Therefore, it should be a software issue since the microphone is actually working intermittently and it can be fixed by inserting the EarPods. Please let me know if anyone has the same issue and tell me what I can do? Thank you and have a nice day.

Apr 14, 2015 1:54 PM in response to DougO

Same issue here. Works for google and other apps immediately but with siri (and text dictation) it takes 4-5 seconds before receiving/acknowledging sound. Did a light reset as well as a factory reboot and neither did anything. Was told by blue shirt dude at store that should these options not work it would result in a new piece of hardware (i.e. new phone). Going back in on TH (16th) to see if that will really play out.

Apr 14, 2015 6:06 PM in response to markyv18

Hi, everyone. I talked to Apple Genius at Apple Store last week, she said it should be a software issue and I needed to reset my iphone 6 plus as a new device and I can not use the backup restore from my iCloud, it was because the microphone bug or glitch can be in the backup also. Ok, followed her advice, erased all contents and set my iphone as a new device , the microphone worked for an hour, but went bad again. I used "voice memo" app from Apple to test the microphone. It is the best tool since it doesn't involve any provider's network and it doesn't need another person's phone to listen and test. If you can hear your voice recording clearly, then the mic works. I tested it 3-4 times a day for a few days now, half of the time the mic doesn't work. So, set as a new device isn't working. The issue is intermittent and it comes and goes as it likes, so very annoying. I carry my Apple EarPods with me in these past few days ust in case I need to make important phone calls. Will need to go back to Apple Genius this weekend for sure. Will give update after the weekend.

Apr 17, 2015 5:30 PM in response to I am adonian no that other fucker using my name

Went to Apple Store and told the Apple Genius about the microphone issue on my iphone 6+. She also used voice memos app but found that the issue was not present. told her that the issue was intermittent, so she listened to all the good and bad voice memos recording that I have in the past few days. And the last Apple Genius from my last visit already documented that the microphone had issue and did new phone reset to resolve it. Apparently, new phone reset didn't resolve anything. Apple Genius gave me a brand new iphone 6+ without further question because those voice memos are good evidence that the mic was not doing its job all the time. Now I am happy that the issue is resolved once and for all. Both experiences at Apple Store were very pleasant and the Geniuses were very professional and showed interest to help. I know I got a bad phone, but Apple backed it up. Hope anyone who has this issue will get it resolved before phone's warranty expires. Good luck.

iPhone 6 External Mic not working for Siri/Dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.