Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I view my iPhoto library after updating to iPhoto 9.6?

Why does the update to iphoto 9.6 not allow me to view my previous iPhoto library?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 7:13 PM

6 replies

Jan 16, 2015 9:04 AM in response to joeapple31

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what do you see in the iPhoto window when iPhoto opens? Any message and if so what is it?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

User uploaded file

Jan 16, 2015 2:56 PM in response to joeapple31

Why does the update to iphoto 9.6 not allow me to view my previous iPhoto library?

Two possible reasons -

• your iPhoto Library could be on an unsupported drive, for example with a file system, that is not MacOS Extended and incompatible with iPhoto or not locally mounted,
  • or your iPhoto Library has been created by an older iPhoto version - iPhoto '08 or earlier and needs preparing, before iPhoto 9.6 can open it.

But without answers to LarryHN's and Old Toad questions we really cannot help.

Jan 16, 2015 5:26 PM in response to léonie

I did have the previous version of iPhoto possibly 08. I stored it externally on portable hard drive in format:

Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Upon doing the update to iPhoto 9.6 as was recommmended by the old software I then opened after the install and it no longer loads the library. How can I prepare the old library to work in this new version?

Jan 17, 2015 3:44 AM in response to joeapple31

I did have the previous version of iPhoto possibly 08.

Possibly? We need to know the version reliably. Check, if the version number is showing, when you select the iPhoto Library in the Finder in columns view:

User uploaded file

If it is indeed iPhoto '08, version 7.x.x or earlier, read this linked document: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

Then you need to download, install, and run the iPhoto Library upgrader.

Why can't I view my iPhoto library after updating to iPhoto 9.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.