Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi wrong dhcp ip address

My daughter's iPhone 6 and her iPad air are not connecting to our wifi router. My husband's (iPhone 5s), my iPhone 6, his iPad Air2, iPad 2, her Macbook Pro (Yosemite), an old iPad1 my husband uses for reading, and the family iMac (Yosemite) are connecting as normal. All our IOS devices are running IOS 8.1.2 except for daughter's iPad Air (8.0.2). While I understand this has been a common problem of late, mine seems to have a variation, in the area of the router assigned dhcp addresses.

Internet is via cable. The wifi router is a Netgear 6300v2. I just recently updated the router firmware.

The issue is that for both of her devices, the DHCP ip addresses are 169.xxx.xxx.x.x. These are some kind of internal domain ip addresses I believe, instead of the domain number of the router 192.xxx.x.x. What is causing this and why is it not happening the same to all our devices? Is there something she could have installed that is causing this issue, is someone hacking her devices?

What I have tried (on both her iPhone and her iPad)

restarting

resetting (several times)

forgetting and re-entering network name and password, several times

renewing lease

resetting network settings

under location services, turning off wi-fi

I have not yet asked her to set both devices up as new. Is that the best solution or is it time to visit Apple authorized dealer?

Thanks for any help and education you can provide.

Same

iPad, null

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 11:39 PM

4 replies

Jan 16, 2015 2:01 AM in response to saje

Is DHCP set to automatic on your router?

Did you already compare the Wi-Fi network settings to those that work on the other iDevices?

If you tap on the Wi-Fi info next to the name of the network, is it set to "DHCP"?

If you can see the Wi-Fi network on her phone and tap on connect, does it connect?

Also check this article again:

iOS and OS X: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

iOS: Connecting to Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Jan 16, 2015 10:27 AM in response to saje

I found the fateful flaw. Thank you to Ingo2711 & Toptechnical for your replies. It was reading through the recommended articles on settings for Wi-Fi Routers (which I will keep because I found other good info in there unrelated to my issue) that it came to me. Duh.

Turn off all non-connecting devices and the wi-fi router, then...-drum roll please; Reset the cable modem....then restart router, turn on devices.

Sometimes it's the nut behind the bolt that is the bigger problem.

Saje

wifi wrong dhcp ip address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.