Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Drive Replacement, iTunes Points To Wrong Folder Even After Adjusting Settings

I moved my music to a new hard drive. I then adjusted settings within iTunes to "point" to the folder on the new drive. The folder name is identical as are all the files within it. I did this a few months back and had no issues once iTunes "located" my files. All files played, playlists remained intact. This time however only a small portion of my files successfully "located" and the remaining 75% are unplayable. When "shown in finder", the unplayable tracks point to a completely random folder within my mail folder of obviously non-music files. I've been searching for weeks how to fix this to no avail. I definitely do not want to lose my playlists, play counts, etc. so starting from scratch with iTunes is not an option for me. Please advise how to fix this very odd issue!

iMac 3.4 Ghz i7

OSX 10.8.5

iTunes 12.0.1.26 (just updated)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 11:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 6:44 AM

I moved my music to a new hard drive. I then adjusted settings within iTunes to "point" to the folder on the new drive. The folder name is identical as are all the files within it. I did this a few months back and had no issues once iTunes "located" my files.

While it sometimes works to have iTunes try to mend broken links it is more of an emergency measure rather than standard procedure, and of course does not always work.

Here is how you move a library if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its subfolders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

If this is to a new computer and you put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.)

If you really are talking about moving just music you need to let iTunes move it, not you. iTunes 12 for Mac: Change where your iTunes files are stored - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH19507

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2015 6:44 AM in response to seethemoon

I moved my music to a new hard drive. I then adjusted settings within iTunes to "point" to the folder on the new drive. The folder name is identical as are all the files within it. I did this a few months back and had no issues once iTunes "located" my files.

While it sometimes works to have iTunes try to mend broken links it is more of an emergency measure rather than standard procedure, and of course does not always work.

Here is how you move a library if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its subfolders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

If this is to a new computer and you put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.)

If you really are talking about moving just music you need to let iTunes move it, not you. iTunes 12 for Mac: Change where your iTunes files are stored - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH19507

Jan 25, 2015 10:27 PM in response to Limnos

Hello - thank you for your response. Unfortunately since my original drive died, all I could do was move the files from my backup drive (music files only, not the iTunes library info) to the replacement drive. As I mentioned, the same situation has occurred before with a dead drive and inability to move the library files and I have not had issues. Please help me understand how to repair my playlists and library given that access to the original library file is not possible

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2015 4:10 PM in response to seethemoon

To resolve this we will need details. I don't know exactly what is where. Even though it "worked last time" I see people post with that and almost invariably there is something different in the scenario this time.

The iTunes application alone has no idea where media files are. You could drag all the media folders you like to the Media folder and it won't know. You could "point" iTunes to that folder in preferences and it still will never look there. iTunes knows where files are because as you add them to iTunes it puts them in the Media folder and makes a note in that .itl file where the files are located. When you try to play a track iTunes looks up in the .itl file which media file it should try to play when you request the track and goes to that location to play the file. If there file isn't there you get ! You have to mend the links one by one, or iTunes might try, based on you repairing links. to repair other links, but it doesn't usually work that way and is only partly successful at times (as we have already discussed). If you have ever walked into a store and see an empty shelf but their web site says they have 3 in stock and the sales person says all their stock is out on the shelf, iTunes is like that.

Here's a bunch of links on how iTunes works. As you can see, an entire library is a whole bunch of files and support folders working in concert and when they get split up iTunes starts misbehaving.

What are the iTunes library files? - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1660

More on iTunes library files and what they do - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes#Media_management

What are all those iTunes files? - http://www.macworld.com/article/139974/2009/04/itunes_files.html

Where are my iTunes files located? - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1391

iTunes 9 [and later]: Understanding iTunes Media Organization - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3847 - plus supplemental information about organizing to new structure https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6477809?answerId=26404702022#26404702022

Image of folder structure and explanation of different iTunes versions (turingtest2 post) - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392 and making an iTunes library portable.

Jan 26, 2015 4:25 PM in response to Limnos

@Limnos - thank you for your great explanation. You've helped me see that I was not understanding my own issue. Let me try to clarify: the drive with my library files is intact and has not changed. The issue came about when my data drive (where my music was stored) died and I just copied the music files to the replacement drive. When opening iTunes the first time obviously the library couldn't find anything. I then "fixed" the "!" files and many of them play fine. The confusion is that there are a bunch of files that appear to be fine (no ! marking next to them) but in fact point to a random folder - screenshots attached. Since my library files are intact and where they always were, I don't know how to fix this.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2015 4:36 PM in response to seethemoon

I don't see the dread word "NAS" in your posts but this is a classic issue with some NAS and a split library (library files on an internal drive and media files on an external drive). Are you using just plain vanilla hard drives here?

The problem is, there may be no way to fix them except one by one unless you are willing to give up play counts, ratings, and date added.

Jan 26, 2015 4:45 PM in response to Limnos

@Limnos - nope, no NAS here (I dread those as well). My library is on my iMac and my data (music, docs etc.) were on an external RAID, now on a replaced external RAID. Different RAID configs but otherwise really pretty vanilla.

I'd be happy to fix them one by one but there's no "!" marker so I can't even figure out how to point to the proper file.

Jan 26, 2015 5:07 PM in response to seethemoon

If it isn't presenting you with bad links then I don't know how to repair it. From what you said earlier the file you just displayed doesn't play but the link isn't broken.

I kind of think this happened because you were using RAID but I haven't seen many posts here with issues like that. I think it is more likely to happen where iTunes is having to address files on another drive from where the main library files are kept.

After Drive Replacement, iTunes Points To Wrong Folder Even After Adjusting Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.