Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hundreds of "LiveUpd" in Activity Monitor. Eats up all RAM

"LiveUpd" emerges from nowhere, have no idea for what is that update. I've no Norton / Symantec software on MAC — there is information on internet about problems with LiveUpdate for those products on PCs. No specific time or situation noticed, when they appear numerous active at once and after that they stop responding. Image of situation below.

User uploaded file

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 2:37 AM

15 replies

Mar 11, 2017 2:31 AM in response to yogaprakash

I had the same problem, and followed yogaprakash's recommendation. Turns out it was an app I installed to use a internet-dongle (Mobile Connect - the actual dongle is produced by Huawei).

I googled the app which caused yogaprakash problems (MBlaze), and it looks like it is a similar app, so maybe they share software somehow.

Jan 20, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Mizx

Yesterday tried to go through all applications and manually check for all updates, even reinstalled part of them. After that done some cleanups and checkups, deleted ~10GB unnecessary system etc. files. No success — LiveUpd is back and hangs everything. Tried to do normal restart — MAC closed all programs, it was blank background picture, it was possible to open "Force Quit" window, but there were no active applications there — blank. Waited maybe 20 minutes, restarted manually by pushing power button. After restart usually this LiveUpd comes back, but I manage to manually Force Quit them one by one ir Activity Monitor and then everyting is OK until some moment after x hours, when they all are back.

There was question, how looks Activity Monitor CPU activity at that moment, so there is a picture at moment when it's too late. RAM is overloaded first, CPU can cope with LiveUpd at that moment.

User uploaded file

Jan 21, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Mizx

That suggests to me that there is a third party item that is creating these 'LiveUpd's'. Generally deleting all third party items and reinstalling them systematically is called for in order to find the 'problem child'. The other option is to do a clean install of your MBP and reinstall all items judiciously so that the offender is not reinstalled or is found.

Ciao.

Jan 23, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Mizx

It was OK for a while, but just now problem came back and hundreds of LiveUpd overloaded RAM. I'm 100% sure that LiveUpd is connected with Apple Mail software — without Mail there are no signs of LiveUpd in Activity Monitor at all.

So, is there any advice how to solve this problem regarding Apple Mail, version 8.1? I'm not sure is it possible to reinstall only Mail, have to look for some advice.

Apr 18, 2015 7:36 AM in response to Mizx

I had the same issue, lots of LiveUpd processes running, most of them not responding.

In Activity Monitor, click one of the LiveUpd processes, and then click the Gear icon -> Sample process.

The sample output will show the path of the executable file associated with the process. In my case, it was this MBlaze app that I downloaded to connect to internet.

If the sample output doesn't work for you, try the 'i' button to get information about the process. In this window, you can click on 'Open Files and Ports' to check the names of the files associated with the app. This may give you some clues as to what the associated app is.

Hundreds of "LiveUpd" in Activity Monitor. Eats up all RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.