Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use a single iPhone with two contact numbers via dual sim or an app?

Is it possible to use a single iPhone with two contact numbers via dual sim or an app?

This would be a useful feature for personal and company numbers but using one mobile, rather than carrying two devices or diverting calls.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 2:41 AM

12 replies

Jan 16, 2015 4:18 PM in response to CCSMG

If you live in the U.S., you could use Google Voice and the Google Voice app as a second number. Most anywhere, you could use Skype and pay for a number. There are other apps that will give you a number that people can call. The one problem that I've found using Skype is that the alert is more like a text alert. I don't always hear it.

I use Google Voice for a lot of things. One of the cool things is that you can give out a Google Voice number then have it forward to other number (home, cell, work, whatever) based on a schedule.

Jan 17, 2015 7:51 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Then go ahead and try it. You'll find it's probably a load of crap.

You want 2 numbers, then use Google Voice or TalkaTone

Those are US based only Apps or numbers so no good. I won't be wasting money by just trying something either, especially because using a dual sim would mean purchasing another sim card on either pay as you go or monthly contact.

Jan 17, 2015 8:17 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

You're welcome, I'm in the UK now (for a few more weeks) but you can call me on my normal 312 area code number and it will be a normal call to a US number for you. Even less for me to call back?

Of course if you are a TalkaTone subscriber calls to other subscribers are always free.

Quality is usually good, bad calls happen, but so they do at AT&T's hilarious rates 🙂

Feb 8, 2016 2:57 PM in response to CCSMG

It is true Apple does not offer a dual sim phone. I have tried various dual sim adapters over the years most of which are not reliable. I've tried them for OS and for Android. For a couple of years now, I've been using "simore" adapters in both Iphone 5,5s,6 and 6s and they work 100% of the time. The problem with the Iphone is there is no way to hide the two or even three sims inside the phone. You have to put the adapter inside the phone via a ribbon cable which comes out through the Iphone sim slot. It really looks funky but with a case on the phone the ribbon cable is hidden. Now as far as the operation goes, you can set the adapter to automatically switch between numbers or do it manually. I travel outside the US a few times a year. I choose to use a "onesimcard.com" sim for international travel. You can use it just about anywhere. I have an Estonian phone number and it's linked to a US 800 number (that's another conversation for another time". The only issue which is only on occasion I get a message from Apple telling me I am using the US sim card in a new phone. I do not get that message when using one in an Android phone. The adapter has it's own software and works automatically. If you travel a lot or if you use more than one cell phone right here in the US, you owe yourself the fun of trying it. No I do not work for either of these companies. I just like to do things my way and that is not to have to carry around multiple phones for multiple purposes. Have fun!

Feb 8, 2016 2:55 PM in response to Templeton Peck

I have tried them all. The Magic-sim products over the years. From my personal experience they are not reliable. The one that has worked for me is the "simore" card. I have used them in different Android and Iphones back to the Iphone 4 with great results. I have their latest version in my Iphone 6s and it works perfectly. Believe it or not, that same adapter works in my Samsung Alpha (a Samsung flop) just as well. If you really want to have some fun, put an international sim card (Data only) in your adapter for next to nothing data connections and use your Iphone as a hotspot. Granted you can't have both numbers active at the same time. This works when you just want low cost international data roaming while traveling.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.