Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 plus so easy to dent on the back cover

Hi, all

I have just purchased an iPhone 6 plus for a month, just yesterday I noticed a tiny dent on the back cover (really really small) at the place where battery joins the logic board (suspected place, not confirmed). Possibly caused by my wife using the phone with both first fingers to hold it for a long time, I was shocked when I accidentally discovered this. The phone is perfect other than this, but however for a newly purchased high-end iPhone with just a month careful usage and without any drop or putting it with other stuff, I really do not satisfied with its durability. I took it to apple store in cambridge uk and seeking a replacement under warranty, 3 guys spoke to me, 1 sales, 1 technical and 1 manager, all says they have never seen and heard about this problem before and cosmetics are not covered under warranty. For all of you guys who know about the 'bent gate' youtube videos and forum discussions, it is known that iPhone 6 plus is not as strong as Apple claimed to be. I was turned away by them simply just by saying "They have never seen it and it is not covered", despite millions of viewers and comments of the problem were discussed online, they said if apple did not mention it online officially, then it is not covered. I was a little bit ****** off, but I try to be objective. I have attached photo of the dent. Anyone please give me some help. I do not believe a high-end iPhone should be as easily to be dent as possible by normal usage.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 6:04 AM

User uploaded file

I just completed this thread at Apple store. If you have same problem pls follow, this is the only way apple will take it seriously.

The dent may not seem big but if you can do it with your finger than it will get worse. If picture is not clear enough please let me know.

My advise to Apple is "if you really want to be the tiniest, lightest, make sure it does not bend or dent so easily, otherwise why should I pay 600 pounds on it to be happy for a month and torture myself for the rest of its life.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2015 6:04 AM in response to hwen0419

User uploaded file

I just completed this thread at Apple store. If you have same problem pls follow, this is the only way apple will take it seriously.

The dent may not seem big but if you can do it with your finger than it will get worse. If picture is not clear enough please let me know.

My advise to Apple is "if you really want to be the tiniest, lightest, make sure it does not bend or dent so easily, otherwise why should I pay 600 pounds on it to be happy for a month and torture myself for the rest of its life.

Jan 16, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

However Bend gate was discredited or not (it is not really my point), it can at least shows that nowadays, iphone is no longer a cool phone to put in your back pocket of your jeans. Actually you do not even understand why bend gate existed, it shows that cool guys now with his/her iphone can not be cool in your back pocket. It is called iphone but you can not even put it in your pockets (because it is either too big to fit or too fragile, I can do both with my Iphone 4s without any issues), it forces you to have a hand bag, even for man!!! Can you believe this? You'd say you can put it in pockets of coats, but what about summer? Are you saying man should have a purse at hand to hold your iphone? How uncool is that? If Steve Jobs is still alive, I think iphone 6 plus would not have been hit the market at lease to reflect concerns in what made apple so successful - customer experience. For the past month, my wife treated her iphone 6 plus like her prince and sometimes I even got little bit OCDed about how she should gently touch it. I can not believed it still can dent by your normal use of supporting back by fingers. My iphone 4s experience was like solid, sturdy, most importantly, reliable and does not make you worry too much. Now the iphone 6 plus experience would be constantly worrying of dent/bend (because it can actually kill your phone,where scratches for my iphone 4s only add some bad lookings) . Yes, I ordered a tough armor case for it today,but hey, I payed Apple 600 pounds to shrink it down and now I have to buckle it up again? If you were employed by Steve Jobs and he knew you advised me to buy a case just to avoid accidentally create a dent by normal hand-handling it, you would be fired immediately I think. To me, Apple was not ready for this sized touch device market yet, I think the leadership now at Apple are focusing too much on competition with Samsung and other vendors to savage as much market share as quickly as possible, a little thinner than this brand and a little lighter than that brand, by doing this Apple actually changed the experience of users from robustness of entire life of an iphone to early premature satisfaction and excitement followed by worrying and hate the phone for the rest of its lifespan. To wrap up, we treated it very well and it breaks, with a case it is even bigger, and it will not fit your front boot's pocket or back, because it can be easily bend unless you can make a video or test and show that it will not bend it in your back/front pockets with normal activities (including sitting and walking). Now when you put it into your purse or bags you have to be careful because your finger can dent it (my case) and so other little hard stuff also can. If it requires so much attention to treat it right, why Apple put an motion calculation chip inside it, you can not even have it on your body when you are doing light sports in summer. If I knew all of this, I would definitely get an iphone 6, not 6 plus. But now it is all too late, I have put my trust in apple, and it gives me a such huge smack down on the expectation and experience. Sure, my wife can live with a small tiny dent, and the phone is working fine. But with this bad experience and psychological disappointment, It is not what I pay 600 pounds for. One of Genius told me iphone 6 plus was thinner when I asked why it is so fragile, it seems to me that Apple is happy to charge you more premium for less good experience on their flagship products. This is just my thoughts about today, maybe I should not expect so much from Apple as before, should I?

May 20, 2015 8:24 AM in response to hwen0419

Try to understand the engineering ?? The dents shown above appear to be close to where the battery and circuit board assembly meet.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6+Plus+Rear+Case+Replacement/32057

Click/Tap to enlarge (very large images)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

The case is constructed of "anondized aluminum". Aluminum is a lightweight and *soft* or *malleable* metal - easy to machine. Anondizing changes the surface molecular composition so that coating adhere best. Anodizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"BendGate" has been attributed to the *shape" and stress points (volume button holes) in the shape.

Ya'll now have starting points for understanding what is where... but a hard case will cover the dent AND prevent further wear & tear.

ÇÇÇ

Sep 10, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Firozz786

I have taken my iPhone 6 plus back to Apple Store in Cabot Circus Bristol today for a malfunctioning camera.

This is the third replacement handset I'm now on, all previous iPhone 6 plus I have owned replaced in the past for the same issue.

However, today's visit to Apple Store in Cabot Circus Bristol the Apple technician said that Apple would not replace or repair my handset under warranty on this occasion because it was dented and it had a bend in the handset. But the last three visits to Apple Store in Cabot Circus Bristol they replaced the handset no issue at all, my previous hand sets were all in the same condition, dented,bent and a broken camera.

I have always looked after all of my handsets and used an official Apple case but the Apple technician implied that my iPhone had been in an accident.

I have never dropped the phone or had any other kind of accident there are no scratches anywhere on the phone.

I'm really not happy with the staff at Apple Store in Cabot Circus Bristol, I found the Apple technician rude and patronizing.

iphone 6 plus so easy to dent on the back cover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.