Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Mid 2012: Issues with Yosemite update, graphics, and hard drive.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

I've used 192.8 GB

Operating System: 10.10.1 (14B25) YOSEMITE UPDATE

I've been experiencing problems with my Macbook Pro shortly after the two year mark of when I've purchased it. There are a few things that are going on. I recently verified my Macintosh HD disk through disk utility and it stated in red that there was an incorrect number of file hard links & then error: This disk needs to be repaired and to restart and then press "R". However, everything before that seemed to have passed. I have everything backed up on an external hard drive and use the time machine frequently. Another thing that has been happening, usually when I'm opening one my adobe programs, is that my screen will go white for a minute along with unidentifiable pink glitchy shapes that don't move. My computer has not been running like it used to and is running slow, freezing, and periodically going white --- as I just mentioned before. I just know that something isn't it right. I've been having to restart my computer by manually pressing the power button more than I've ever had over the past two years. I always work on my computer on a hard surface in a cool area & my fans seem to behaving okay. I also recently installed the Yosemite update for the mac sometime during this past November too and noticed slower running speed, more freezing, and longer times to boot up afterwards. Please speak up if you're experiencing problems with your 2012 Macbook pro too and especially after downloading the Yosemite upgrade. I don't see how it's in any way acceptable that I should have to deal with issues pertaining to my graphics card. Sorry for this post being a little all over the place.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 11:48 AM

1 reply

May 11, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Brittlarsh

I'm experiencing the same problem with my 15-inch macbook pro mid-2012 (non-retina) after installing Yosemite. Disabling 'Automatic graphics switching' in the Energy Saver control panel seems to be a work-around. I've tried to enable automatic switching a few times after with the same result: the laptop freezes with strange stipes on the display and automatically reboots. Sometimes it doesn't reboot, but shuts down completely.

Macbook Pro Mid 2012: Issues with Yosemite update, graphics, and hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.