Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Numbers spreadsheet from iOS to Mac ?

I created a Numbers spreadsheet on my Mac and saved the spreadsheet to my iCloud Drive. I then updated the spreadsheet on my Mac with additional data.

Mac -> iOS: When I open Numbers on my iPad or iPhone, I see the Numbers spreadsheet in iCloud. When I open the spreadsheet, it is complete with the latest data updates. All works fine.

iOS -> Mac: If I update the spreadsheet on my iPad (or my iPhone), then open Numbers on my Mac and view the spreadsheet, the updated data does not appear. It seems that iCloud is not syncing the spreadsheet from iOS back to the Mac.

Any thoughts how to correct this situation? FYI that I am using the most recent versions of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. And I am signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID on each device. Thx

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 4:12 PM

I couldn't find a solution so I rang Apple. What the Apple rep told me to do:

1. Go to System Preferences > iCloud and sign out of iCloud.

2. Using Finder, go to Users\~\Library\Application Support on your start-up drive. Find the folder named iCloud and drag the entire folder into the trash.

3. Go to System Preferences > iCloud and sign back into iCloud.

4. Once signed in to iCloud, click on Options next to iCloud Drive and confirm that the Numbers app is checked.

5. Using Finder, go to your iCloud Drive. Inside the Numbers folder, you will see your spreadsheet. If there is a cloud symbol to the right of the folder number, click on it to download the spreadsheet from iCloud to your Mac. Then click on the spreadsheet to open it with Numbers.

The above worked for me. I'm now able to edit the spreadsheet on my Mac or on an iOS device, and have it sync correctly across all devices. Maybe these steps will help someone else too.

FYI that it took a minute or so for the iCloud folder (the one dragged to the trash) to be rebuilt and for the Numbers folder to appear in iCloud Drive. Per the Apple rep, my iCloud folder probably got corrupted in some way, which was impeding the sync.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2015 4:12 PM in response to pomme4moi

I couldn't find a solution so I rang Apple. What the Apple rep told me to do:

1. Go to System Preferences > iCloud and sign out of iCloud.

2. Using Finder, go to Users\~\Library\Application Support on your start-up drive. Find the folder named iCloud and drag the entire folder into the trash.

3. Go to System Preferences > iCloud and sign back into iCloud.

4. Once signed in to iCloud, click on Options next to iCloud Drive and confirm that the Numbers app is checked.

5. Using Finder, go to your iCloud Drive. Inside the Numbers folder, you will see your spreadsheet. If there is a cloud symbol to the right of the folder number, click on it to download the spreadsheet from iCloud to your Mac. Then click on the spreadsheet to open it with Numbers.

The above worked for me. I'm now able to edit the spreadsheet on my Mac or on an iOS device, and have it sync correctly across all devices. Maybe these steps will help someone else too.

FYI that it took a minute or so for the iCloud folder (the one dragged to the trash) to be rebuilt and for the Numbers folder to appear in iCloud Drive. Per the Apple rep, my iCloud folder probably got corrupted in some way, which was impeding the sync.

Apr 2, 2016 7:44 AM in response to pomme4moi

I have this same deal between Numbers on my MacPro and Numbers in iCloud.com

The only thing I don't like about pomme4moi's solution is that when you attempt to sign out of iCloud it insists on me making up a new password.

It's a real nuisance that the two methods of accessing a spreadsheet don't work reliably between the two platforms: you'd think Apple would rush to fix this, but seemingly we have to root about in Libraries etc. to get them to work together. I wonder whether you have to clear out the Library every time you create a new spreadsheet, be it on the Mac app or in iCloud.com?

Apr 2, 2016 9:00 AM in response to tetters

tetters wrote:

It's a real nuisance that the two methods of accessing a spreadsheet don't work reliably between the two platforms: you'd think Apple would rush to fix this, but seemingly we have to root about in Libraries etc. to get them to work together. I wonder whether you have to clear out the Library every time you create a new spreadsheet, be it on the Mac app or in iCloud.com?

Just so you know, the sync has been working reliably here for several years now. I've never had to root around in the Library. If you're having problems you might sign out of iCloud and back in again, and make sure you've turned on Numbers iCloud sync in several places. You do that in TWO places in iOS (under iCloud and under Numbers) and on the Mac you have to make sure iCloud Drive is checked AND that (behind the 'Options...' button) Numbers.app is checked.

SG

Apr 2, 2016 11:15 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks SG,

It's not so much the sync - I only use Numbers on my Mac or any other computer's browser I am on via iCloud.com when I am away from my MacPro. I don't use Numbers in iOS, like an iPhone or iPad.

So like the earlier poster, what I have to do with a spreadsheet made on the browser, is that I open it in the browser then download it to my Desktop, where Mac's app can open it. Then I move the desktop file into iCloud Drive Numbers. Of course I get confused as to which is the latest copy and the original!

Obviously not what Apple intends, but my workaround is that I've told myself that I can't use the native Mac Numbers app, and I just do all my spreadsheets in the iCloud.com browser window Numbers, whether remote on a browser or in the office on my Mac.

Apr 2, 2016 11:42 AM in response to tetters

tetters wrote:

my workaround is that I've told myself that I can't use the native Mac Numbers app, and I just do all my spreadsheets in the iCloud.com browser window Numbers, whether remote on a browser or in the office on my Mac.

Doing all work in the browser will work. But why not get the sync with Numbers on the Mac working correctly? (System Preferences > iCloud and do as described in my previous post). Getting things done via the app on the Mac is often easier than via the browser.

SG

Syncing Numbers spreadsheet from iOS to Mac ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.