Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing a Standard User

Speaking from a vey low level of expertise here. I need to change the person who's name shows up next to the little house in the finder. Under accounts, she is a Standard User. She no longer works here and I would like the new employee to be the principal User. I am the Administrator.

When I try to delete her, the minus sign at the bottom of the Current Users pane is grayed out. When I log on as Administrator, her User Name will not highlight. It is as if her being a User is locked into the computer.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Magic mouse

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 12:58 PM

9 replies

Jan 16, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Kappy

That is what I have been scratching my head about. It seems to be protected. Do you know of any protection levels or methods that might be in place?

If a new computer was set-up with her as the original User, is there something that could have been done during that set-up that might be causing this?

Changing the name of the person next to the house icon is not that big a deal is it? This isn't going into root users, right?

Jan 16, 2015 2:51 PM in response to LowLuster

Yes, I am on the "Current User" list on the left side and it says "Administrator" under my name. I switched over to myself and logged in as the Administrator. When I click on her picture, name, user type it will not highlight.

Now, I just noticed that on my computer, her name is associated with an icon supplied by Apple. But, on the computer she used to use, that icon is not there and it is a photo of herself. If that makes any difference or not.

Jan 16, 2015 2:58 PM in response to nfotx

It doesn't. She just replaced one image for another. The real issue is if the computer is running Mavericks or Yosemite then the drive could be encrypted or her account is encrypted - both using FileVault.

If you can't get this resolved in reasonable time just wipe the drive. It may prove faster than what you are now trying to do.

Changing a Standard User

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.