Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging/Syncing 2 iTunes Libraries w/o creating duplicates

I have 2 iTunes libraries. Both are mine; one old, one current.

I know I am missing dozens of songs in my current library but I don’t recall all the actual song names or artists. I don’t have the time or energy to search through thousands of songs to locate the missing ones. (All of the missing songs were added by me from my CD library).

How can I merge the two libraries (WITHOUT creating thousands of duplicates) to make sure that I have all the songs I own in one new library that I will use for iTunes going forward?

I am not that concerned about maintaining playlists, etc.

I’m using Windows 8.0.

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 2:51 PM

You either need to be incredibly selective about what you add, or add everything and dedupe after...

Apple's official advice on duplicates is here... HT2905: How to find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library. It is a manual process and the article fails to explain some of the potential pitfalls such as lost ratings and playlist membership.

Use Shift > View > Show Exact Duplicate Items to display duplicates as this is normally a more useful selection. You need to manually select all but one of each group to remove. Sorting the list by Date Added may make it easier to select the appropriate tracks, however this works best when performed immediately after the dupes have been created. If you have multiple entries in iTunes connected to the same file on the hard drive then don't send to the recycle bin.

Use my DeDuper script if you're not sure, don't want to do it by hand, or want to preserve ratings, play counts and playlist membership. See thisthread for background, this post for detailed instructions, and please take note of the warning

to backup your library before deduping.

(If you don't see the menu bar press ALT to show it temporarily or CTRL+B to keep it displayed.)

The most recent version of the script can tidy dead links as long as there is at least one live duplicate to merge stats and playlist membership to and should cope sensibly when the same file has been added via multiple paths.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Rex in NJ

You either need to be incredibly selective about what you add, or add everything and dedupe after...

Apple's official advice on duplicates is here... HT2905: How to find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library. It is a manual process and the article fails to explain some of the potential pitfalls such as lost ratings and playlist membership.

Use Shift > View > Show Exact Duplicate Items to display duplicates as this is normally a more useful selection. You need to manually select all but one of each group to remove. Sorting the list by Date Added may make it easier to select the appropriate tracks, however this works best when performed immediately after the dupes have been created. If you have multiple entries in iTunes connected to the same file on the hard drive then don't send to the recycle bin.

Use my DeDuper script if you're not sure, don't want to do it by hand, or want to preserve ratings, play counts and playlist membership. See thisthread for background, this post for detailed instructions, and please take note of the warning

to backup your library before deduping.

(If you don't see the menu bar press ALT to show it temporarily or CTRL+B to keep it displayed.)

The most recent version of the script can tidy dead links as long as there is at least one live duplicate to merge stats and playlist membership to and should cope sensibly when the same file has been added via multiple paths.

tt2

Jan 17, 2015 12:49 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

Basically, I've learned that there is no easy, straightforward way to do this.

So, I believe I will do it another way: I will use a sync program to sync the files at the Windows file level to make sure that I have all the music files in both libraries. Then, I will delete the old library. Make sense?

Thanks again.

Jan 17, 2015 12:59 PM in response to Rex in NJ

To an extent ... that will result in one set of folders that contains the media from both libraries, but neither iTunes database will reflect the merged content. If you can use a synchronization method that avoids mass duplication at the file/folder level (which will depend on both libraries having the same organization and naming conventions) then it may be better to create a new iTunes library (SHIFT-start iTunes and select this option), and then import the content of the merged media collection. If you do this, however, you'll lose all previous information related to playlists, playcounts, ratings, etc. and may have to reload artwork that was previously retrieved from the iTunes Store (Get Artwork function).

You're 100% correct that "there is no easy, straightforward way to do this".

Jan 17, 2015 1:49 PM in response to hhgttg27

Thanks, hhgttg27

Good point.

I reckon that recreating my playlists would be a relatively small price to pay to find those old songs. I don't rely on the playcounts, ratings, etc. anyway.

It's very disappointing that there Apple doesn't provide support for such functions. Even more disappointing that it doesn't provide a function to manage more accurately what is on your iPhone, iPad, etc. - but that is for another post.

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2015 2:01 PM in response to Rex in NJ

"It's very disappointing that there Apple doesn't provide support for such functions."

Agreed, though it has to be assumed that Apple is limited in its ability to support capabilities that would be perceived as making it easier for media to be copied between users. In establishing the iTunes Store Apple will have entered into all sorts of complex agreements with the content providers (record labels, movie & TV studios, ...) - and we see the consequences of this in some of iTunes' inherent limitations. Even though additional capabilities like Home Sharing and Family Sharing have started to blur some of the edges, iTunes is still essentially based around a "one user, one computer, one iTunes library" paradigm.

As far as your original issue goes, I did on one occasion have a vaguely similar solution (inasmuch as I had content on one library that I want to add to a second, where the two also had some overlapping content). The approach that I used was to (painstakingly) compare the content of the two libraries, using this to create a playlist with the "secondary" library that included all the content missing from the "primary" one. I selected all the content of the playlist (not the playlist itself) and dragged-and-dropped this to a folder on an external drive. I then connected the external drive to the other computer, with the "primary" library, and added the content of that folder. Obviously this is entirely dependent on "manual inspection" to reduce the potential for duplication, but may be viable approach in the absence of any other, more automated methods.

Merging/Syncing 2 iTunes Libraries w/o creating duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.