Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will pictures transfer from old version of iPhoto to new version?

I bought a used Macbook Pro last year. It came with a few programs like Microsoft Office as well as iPhoto. The guy I bought it from reset it to factory settings but left iPhoto on it so I didn't need to pay for it. I used it for all of my photos and as time went by updates were available but since iPhoto was bought with his account I needed the password to update it, which I didn't have. Because of this I just never updated it and continued using it without the updates. Now, after getting the new ios update, the iPhoto version that I have is incompatible with the update so I am forced to buy the new one, which isn't a big deal but I'm concerned that the photos from my old iPhoto won't transfer to the new one. I cannot access these files in finder either and I want to be careful in dealing with this. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 7:10 PM

4 replies

Jan 17, 2015 12:43 AM in response to aisaleen

Yes you can - in fact, you can't back up an iPhoto Library that is open.

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Jan 17, 2015 12:55 AM in response to aisaleen

Which version of iphoto do you currently have installed? If the version is iPhoto 7.x.x or earlier, you need to download, install, and run iPhoto Library Upgrader, see this link: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

But d not do anything at all with your iPhoto library, before you have made a copy of the iPhoto library as Terence described. There have some iPhoto libraries been corrupted during the upgrade to iPhoto 9.6, because an issue with the Mac or installed software caused iPhoto to crash. It is really essential to have a backup when upgrading an iPhoto library.

And make sure, that MacOS X has enough free working space on your system drive. The most common reason for crashes during a library upgrade is running out of storage during the upgrade. Don't even think about trying to upgrade the iPhoto library, if you do not have at least 10GB of free storage on your system drive, better more.

Will pictures transfer from old version of iPhoto to new version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.