Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Aperture 2.1.1 library in Aperture 3

I have stored my Aperture work in an aux file and in the past, just clicked on each library to open Aperture in my Macbook. My computer needed to be reformated and I downloaded Aperture 3, but my libraries in the aus drive are not opening. Any thoughts please - I have just joined the blog so this topic has probably been discussed.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 8:11 PM

6 replies

Jan 17, 2015 2:12 AM in response to paulheathphotos

and I downloaded Aperture 3

Are you now running the latest version, Aperture 3.6?

but my libraries in the aus drive are not opening.

Do you get any error messages?

Aperture 3.6 will check the formatting of the drive with the libraries, if it is compatible. Move your Aperture libraries to a drive that is formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled).

Then try to open your library in Aperture 3 by holding down the alt/options key while launching Aperture. That will show you the Library Chooser panel.

And be sure to make a backup copy of any library you are trying to upgrade to Aperture 3.6 format. If something should be causing your Mac to crash during the upgrade, the library might be left in an inconsistent condition, for example, if the system should be running out of disk space.

Jan 17, 2015 8:30 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply leone.

I have Aperture 3.6. I have been able to open Library chooser panel and can see my library in the aux drive there but on double clicking, I get a message - the file system of the library volume is unsupported. I don't know how to move the library to a drive that is formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). I have moved the library into my macbook and tried again - same message. ( I upgraded to Yosemite 2 months ago) Could you let me know how to to do the upgrade?

Just to clear on my storage - I found Vaults a bit confusing so I drag each Aperture library to an aux driver. When I want a library I don't open Aperture in my macbook - I double click the library in the aux drive and it opens Aperture with the full library and folders as I last worked on them. I close Aperture and do the same operation to open another library from the aux file to open Aperture.

Is this storage method a problem when I move from 2.1.4 to 3.6?

I am in Malaysia at the moment and my Aperture 2 disc is in Europe, where I will be in April. At worst, can I re-install Aperture 2 again and run both Apertures or is Aperture unsupported by Yosemite in terms of re-installing.It would be great to have all my libraries going back several years now being available on Aperture 3.6

Jan 25, 2015 1:25 AM in response to paulheathphotos

Any drive you are storing an Aperture library on needs to have a compatible file system - the format should show as MacOS Extended (Journaled).

By default a new drive may have a file system that is compatible with Windows computers, but not Macs.

Check the format by selecting your drive in the Finder and using the command "File > Get Info".

The "General" part of the Info panel will show the format of the file system. For example, the drive with my photo libraries is shown like tis.

User uploaded file

If your drive has the wrong file system, move the contents to a different drive and reformat it using Disk Utility. Formatting will erase the drive completely. This support document explains, how to format the drive - see this link: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture http://support.apple.com/HT201909

Jan 30, 2015 2:42 AM in response to léonie

Thanks - I have tried reformatting a new drive. I get message:

Erasing a partition deletes all the data on that partition, but does not affect other partitions on the same disk.

I then press the erase tab and get:

error - couldn't unmount disc

I note that in the left hand window, I can see my drive - My Passport - but a second one = I TB WD which is format MS DOS (FAT).. Should I try to reformat this one?

Paul

Open Aperture 2.1.1 library in Aperture 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.