Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play Spotify through my Apple tv?

i have for some time been able to play music back on my hifi from my Mac mini, using iTunes and the remote app on my iPad. I now want to play music from the Spotify service to my hifi. I can't work out how to do it with my hardware though. What suggestions can you make, please?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2015 2:14 PM

There is a way to airplay audio only. Play Spotify normally, then on your mac head over to system preferences, then click Sound.

If your Apple TV has airplay turned on, you should see it in your "Outputs" tab there with Type "Airplay". Select it, and the sound from Spotify should start coming out through the speakers you have connected to the Apple TV.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2015 2:14 PM in response to CharlesErb

There is a way to airplay audio only. Play Spotify normally, then on your mac head over to system preferences, then click Sound.

If your Apple TV has airplay turned on, you should see it in your "Outputs" tab there with Type "Airplay". Select it, and the sound from Spotify should start coming out through the speakers you have connected to the Apple TV.

Jan 17, 2015 9:51 AM in response to lllaass

I would rather stream the music from my Mac than my iPad; there is a Mac app called airfoil which will do the job,i discover, but that is not free. I wondered if the functionality was included in osx; I was hoping so, as it's all Apple hardware and it doesn't seem unreasonable to be able send an audio stream from ones computer tho a networked device.

How do I play Spotify through my Apple tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.