Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV slows down the whole Internet connection

Hello. I have an apple TV 3rd Generation (Rev A) and I have been very happy using it. About a month ago (not sure if there was an update because I have it in automatic) I started having problems with streaming. I noticed that the internet connection was slower also in other devices. I called my ISP and they came, checked the network, change the modem and left it working perfectly with our 10MB (sometimes it reaches 12.5 on testing) as soon as I plugged back my apple TV (connected wirelessly) the whole network slowed down near to .10 or .20MB (I did some speed tests) and as soon as I unplug the apple tv, everything comes back to normal... Any ideas?

Apple TV

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 8:55 PM

3 replies

Mar 3, 2015 2:06 PM in response to juanjofloa

We also have Apple TV. If you re streaming a film in HD, my internet slows down considerably. We do not have fibre broadband, and speed are roughly 4 to 5 mbs. I notice that the Apple TV needs a speed of at least 6mbs. When the Apple TV is not connected to my network, the Internet is okay. So when the Apple TV is used,it is normally later on at night. Not exactly a fan of Apple TV anyway.

martin

Sep 16, 2015 5:10 AM in response to juanjofloa

Although I don't own an Apple TV this is one of my fears as the majority of Australians only have ADSL2 Broadband (which runs off regular copper cable telephone lines) and is rated at only 20mbps if connected directly the the modem via ethernet cable, if you use a high quality router for wifi such as Apple's Airport Express, Extreme or Timecapsule you only get about 17mbps maximum.

Obviously once streaming content from the Apple TV via your wireless network is combined with 1 or more people using the internet with say Youtube for example you're going to quickly realise the problems with heavy bandwidth usage...

It's ok for people who live alone and there's only ever one person using the internet at once but for families it would quickly become a problem!

Unfortunately this is the universal problem with internet based streaming services (Netflix included) - unless you're on say 50mbps or faster connection, there's going to be a serious problem when it comes to multiple users using the internet on multiple devices.

One way to speed up your connection would be to connect your main most used computer directly to your modem via ethernet cable if your modem has any spare ethernet ports that aren't already connected to your router (if you use a separate modem and router).

Apple TV slows down the whole Internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.