Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K and bootup screens, can it be fixed?

I'm now using my nMP with dual Dell P2715Q UHD (4k-ish) displays. They are working pretty great, but there are a couple of issues.

One is that when the system is booting, nothing displays on the screens. That's not a huge deal, but I do use FileVault, so I have to "guess" when to enter my password.

I'm wondering if this can be fixed with a SW update? I believe it happens with other 4K displays as well?

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 7:04 AM

6 replies

Jan 17, 2015 9:08 PM in response to Ryan0751

This happens because the EFI rom firmware in the Mac Pro doesn't know how to drive a 4K SST monitor. A future firmware update will very likely fix this problem. However, Apple typically only does one firmware release a year. One workaround is to hookup to the HDMI port to the monitor in addition to the displayport cable. When you want to start up Filevault, switch the monitor's input menu to select HDMI. Otherwise, switch it back to select displayport.

4K and bootup screens, can it be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.