Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to remove the Personal Hotspot Wi-Fi password?

I've recently spoken with an Apple Customer Service rep, and from our exchange, he told me there's absolutely no way to remove the password once you've set something in.

Insofar with my research, the only way you can have a P.Hotspot without a password is if you never placed one at all. After you've placed one, it's either you change it to something else, or you stay with the old one you've made.

I'm posting this question here for anyone who might have an answer for me. While I could entertain the idea of a Jailbreak just to remove that password (or in a more extreme case, restore my iPhone and just re-sync the contents, effectively losing my text messages and whatnot), I'd prefer a more hassle-free method. That is, unless Apple decides to integrate it into their next firmware update. 😁

I'm currently running on a White iPhone 5S, FW 8.1.2

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2, hotspot password

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 8:34 AM

When you set up the iPhone initially, there is a default password. You can change that. But the box is never blank So, even if you were to restore the phone as new, there would be a password.

Why do you want to not have a password? Perhaps if you explained your situation, someone could offer some alternative suggestions.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2015 8:34 AM in response to S373N

When you set up the iPhone initially, there is a default password. You can change that. But the box is never blank So, even if you were to restore the phone as new, there would be a password.

Why do you want to not have a password? Perhaps if you explained your situation, someone could offer some alternative suggestions.

Nov 1, 2015 2:08 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I don't have an iPhone yet, but I am planning to buy one when an iPhone 7 is released. However, my current phone is a Lumia 635, which won't let me tether without a password except when sharing my connection with Bluetooth, and my previous phone, which I already deactivated, is a Samsung Galaxy S4, which has an option to use tethering without a password. I only had an iPhone 1st generation from 2008, and that didn't have the Personal Hotspot option, so I don't really know anything about the Personal Hotspot option. However, I am also wondering if I can remove the password, or not set a password at all as you've said, when I buy a newer iPhone.

Nov 1, 2015 2:22 PM in response to restaurantpattybob

It is really, really, stupid to use ANY WiFi network that does not have a password. Including an iPhone tethering hotspot. The reason? It isn't actually a password; it is an encryption key that makes your data exchanges secure. If you use any network that does not have encryption (and thus a password), including Starbuck's and similar, anyone within range of the network can view and record everything that goes over the network from your phone, including the passwords for your email and for any website you log in to. And there are people that hang out at Starbuck's for the purpose of stealing your data.

It's like leaving the keys to your house on the doorstep with a big sign that says "thieves welcome!"

Nov 2, 2015 7:40 AM in response to restaurantpattybob

There is no way to turn it off. How would you know if someone you don't know is using it? And remember to just listen to your data traffic it is not necessary to actually connect, so if someone was recording your data exchanges you would have no way of knowing. Why is have a passcode a problem? You only need to enter it once on each device that is sharing your network.

Is there a way to remove the Personal Hotspot Wi-Fi password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.