Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a person have two apple ID's?

I Am trying to set up the Family Sharing Program. I have teenagers & would like to know their location, nothing else. We all share the same itunes email & password for payment situations. But we have different iCloud ID's for content privacy. How do I set up the location share??

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), need more iPhoto space

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2015 8:02 AM

Hi gina,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Yes, you can have multiple Apple ID's. I'll include a link with some basic information below ... but the scenario you mention above is quite common. One Apple ID for iTunes Store purchases and a separate Apple ID for iCloud.

Since you are already using the same Apple ID and credit card for iTunes Store purchases, you really don't need to set up Family Sharing, unless you want the other features including a shared calendar, photo album, etc.

Apple - iCloud - Family Sharing

http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

If you do decide to use Family sharing, you can ask (or depending on the age of the girls), "insist" they turn on the "Share your location" option. Here's how it works:

Family Sharing and location - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201087

When you join a family group, you can share your location with other family members.

How it works

When you join a family, you'll be asked if you want to share your location with your family members. If you agree, your location might be displayed on family members’ devices using iOS 8 in Find My Friends and Messages. The location of your shared devices will also appear on family members’ devices in Find My iPhone. If your family members agree, their locations will appear in the apps on your devices. If needed, you can choose which device you want to share your location from.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Choose when to share

You can choose if you want to share your location when you join a family.

User uploaded file

To see your settings, go to Settings > iCloud, scroll down, and tap Share My Location.

User uploaded file

To stop sharing your location, turn off Share My Location. This will hide your location from all of your family members and any of your approved friends. To start sharing again, turn it back on.

If you want to choose which family members to share your location with, tap their name.

User uploaded file

Choose which device to share your location from

By default, the device you used to sign in to Family Sharing is the one that shares your location. If you want to share your location from a different device:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Share My Location and tap From.
  2. Select which device you want to share from.

User uploaded file

Use location sharing with Find My iPhone

If you join family sharing and choose to share your location with family members, they can locate and secure a missing device for you.

If you enabled Find My iPhone on your missing device, a family member can:

• See the location and status of your device
  • Play a sound on your missing device to help you find it
  • Put your device in Lost Mode to help you find it

If you don't share your location with family members, they will be able to see that your devices are online or offline and play a sound to help you locate your missing device. They won't have access to any location information about your devices.

Some features might not be available in all countries due to technical limitations or local law.

Learn more about Find My iPhone.

Last Modified:

Set up your Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204053

Set up your Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes

Learn more about Apple IDs, including how to use your Apple ID with Apple services such as iCloud and the iTunes Store. Also learn how to change the Apple ID that you use to sign in to services on your iPhone.

An Apple ID is the email address you use as a login for just about everything you do with Apple, including using iCloud to store your content, buying songs from the iTunes Store, and downloading apps from the App Store.

When you set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can use the same Apple ID for both iCloud services and purchases on the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store. Or, you can also use one Apple ID for iCloud services and a different Apple ID for Store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). You'll get all the benefits of iCloud whether you use the same Apple ID for iCloud and Store purchases, or different IDs for each. To change the Apple ID signed in to iCloud or iTunes on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, sign out and use the steps below to sign back in with the updated Apple ID.

Use the same Apple ID for
both Store purchases and
iCloud (recommended)

Use one Apple ID for iCloud
and a different one for
Store purchases

Frequently asked
questions

Use the same Apple ID for both Store purchases and iCloud (recommended)

We recommend that you use the same Apple ID for Store purchases and iCloud. Using multiple Apple IDs might be confusing and might cause issues with accessing purchased content or using some services.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. When you first set up your device running iOS 5 or later, enter the Apple ID you use for iTunes in the setup screens. It will be used for Store purchases and iCloud.
  2. If you skipped the setup process, enter your Apple ID in Settings > iCloud and Settings > iTunes and App Stores.

Mac or PC

1. Enter your Apple ID on your computer:
    • Mac: Enter your Apple ID in Apple () menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
    • Windows 8: Enter your Apple ID in the iCloud Control Panel. To access the iCloud Control Panel:
      1. Move the pointer to the upper-right corner of the screen to show the Charms bar.
      2. Click the Search charm.
      3. Then click the iCloud Control Panel on the left.
    • Windows 7 and Vista: Enter the same Apple ID in Control Panel > Network and Internet > iCloud.
  2. Enter your Apple ID in iTunes:
    • iTunes 10: Store > Sign In.
    • iTunes 11 or later: iTunes Store > Quick Links: Account.

If you're using Windows 7 or 8 and can't see the menus, learn how to turn on iTunes menus.

Use one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store purchases

You can use different Apple IDs for iCloud and Store purchases and still get all of the benefits of iCloud.

1. When you first set up your device with iOS 5 or later, enter the Apple ID you want to use with iCloud. If you skipped the setup assistant, sign in to Settings > iCloud and enter the Apple ID you’d like to use with iCloud.
  2. In Settings > iTunes and App Stores, sign in with the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases. You might need to sign out first to change the Apple ID.

Mac or PC

1. Enter the Apple ID that you want to use with iCloud on your computer:
    • Windows 8: Enter your Apple ID in the iCloud Control Panel. To access the iCloud Control Panel:
      1. Move the pointer to the upper-right corner of the screen to show the Charms bar.
    • Windows 7 and Vista: Enter the same Apple ID in Control Panel > Network and Internet > iCloud.
  2. Enter the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases in iTunes:

If you're using Windows 7 or 8 and can't see the menus, learn how to turn on iTunes menus.

Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID for your iTunes Store account, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days. Learn more about associating a device or computer to your Apple ID.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I merge multiple Apple IDs into one?

No. You can't merge two or more Apple IDs into a single one. You can, however, use one Apple ID for iCloud services and another Apple ID for Store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). See “Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases” for details.

Can I change the name of my Apple ID?

Yes. For example, if you get a new email address, you can change your Apple ID from your old address to your new address. @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs cannot be renamed.

I have purchased music, apps, or books with multiple Apple IDs. How can I get all of this content onto my iOS device?

First, copy all of your purchased content so that it's on the same Mac or PC with iTunes. This computer should be the one you sync your device with.

Next, authorize your computer to play content with each Apple ID in iTunes. After your computer is authorized for all of your content, it can be synced to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

How do I restore an iOS device from an iCloud Backup if I use different Apple IDs for iCloud and store purchases?

When you're first prompted for your Apple ID during the restore process, enter the Apple ID you use for iCloud. After your device restarts, you will be presented with another Apple ID prompt before items from the App Store and iBooks Store begin restoring. This time, sign in with the Apple ID you use for Store purchases.

I have an expired @me.com email address as an Apple ID. Can I use it with iCloud and receive email at that address?

Yes, if it is an @me.com address. To use your expired MobileMe account for iCloud, follow the iCloud setup instructions and enter your expired @me.com email address as your Apple ID. Your @me.com address it will be reactivated for email when you sign up for iCloud.

You will need an active email address associated with your Apple ID to set up iCloud. To add an active email address, go to My Apple ID, sign in with your expired @me.com email address, and add an active email address to your account.

Learn more

For more information on Apple IDs, see Frequently Asked Questions About Apple ID.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Cheers,

- Judy

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2015 8:02 AM in response to gina yzaguirre

Hi gina,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Yes, you can have multiple Apple ID's. I'll include a link with some basic information below ... but the scenario you mention above is quite common. One Apple ID for iTunes Store purchases and a separate Apple ID for iCloud.

Since you are already using the same Apple ID and credit card for iTunes Store purchases, you really don't need to set up Family Sharing, unless you want the other features including a shared calendar, photo album, etc.

Apple - iCloud - Family Sharing

http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

If you do decide to use Family sharing, you can ask (or depending on the age of the girls), "insist" they turn on the "Share your location" option. Here's how it works:

Family Sharing and location - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201087

When you join a family group, you can share your location with other family members.

How it works

When you join a family, you'll be asked if you want to share your location with your family members. If you agree, your location might be displayed on family members’ devices using iOS 8 in Find My Friends and Messages. The location of your shared devices will also appear on family members’ devices in Find My iPhone. If your family members agree, their locations will appear in the apps on your devices. If needed, you can choose which device you want to share your location from.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Choose when to share

You can choose if you want to share your location when you join a family.

User uploaded file

To see your settings, go to Settings > iCloud, scroll down, and tap Share My Location.

User uploaded file

To stop sharing your location, turn off Share My Location. This will hide your location from all of your family members and any of your approved friends. To start sharing again, turn it back on.

If you want to choose which family members to share your location with, tap their name.

User uploaded file

Choose which device to share your location from

By default, the device you used to sign in to Family Sharing is the one that shares your location. If you want to share your location from a different device:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Share My Location and tap From.
  2. Select which device you want to share from.

User uploaded file

Use location sharing with Find My iPhone

If you join family sharing and choose to share your location with family members, they can locate and secure a missing device for you.

If you enabled Find My iPhone on your missing device, a family member can:

• See the location and status of your device
  • Play a sound on your missing device to help you find it
  • Put your device in Lost Mode to help you find it

If you don't share your location with family members, they will be able to see that your devices are online or offline and play a sound to help you locate your missing device. They won't have access to any location information about your devices.

Some features might not be available in all countries due to technical limitations or local law.

Learn more about Find My iPhone.

Last Modified:

Set up your Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204053

Set up your Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes

Learn more about Apple IDs, including how to use your Apple ID with Apple services such as iCloud and the iTunes Store. Also learn how to change the Apple ID that you use to sign in to services on your iPhone.

An Apple ID is the email address you use as a login for just about everything you do with Apple, including using iCloud to store your content, buying songs from the iTunes Store, and downloading apps from the App Store.

When you set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can use the same Apple ID for both iCloud services and purchases on the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store. Or, you can also use one Apple ID for iCloud services and a different Apple ID for Store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). You'll get all the benefits of iCloud whether you use the same Apple ID for iCloud and Store purchases, or different IDs for each. To change the Apple ID signed in to iCloud or iTunes on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, sign out and use the steps below to sign back in with the updated Apple ID.

Use the same Apple ID for
both Store purchases and
iCloud (recommended)

Use one Apple ID for iCloud
and a different one for
Store purchases

Frequently asked
questions

Use the same Apple ID for both Store purchases and iCloud (recommended)

We recommend that you use the same Apple ID for Store purchases and iCloud. Using multiple Apple IDs might be confusing and might cause issues with accessing purchased content or using some services.

1. When you first set up your device running iOS 5 or later, enter the Apple ID you use for iTunes in the setup screens. It will be used for Store purchases and iCloud.
  2. If you skipped the setup process, enter your Apple ID in Settings > iCloud and Settings > iTunes and App Stores.

Mac or PC

1. Enter your Apple ID on your computer:
  2. Enter your Apple ID in iTunes:

Use one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store purchases

You can use different Apple IDs for iCloud and Store purchases and still get all of the benefits of iCloud.

1. When you first set up your device with iOS 5 or later, enter the Apple ID you want to use with iCloud. If you skipped the setup assistant, sign in to Settings > iCloud and enter the Apple ID you’d like to use with iCloud.
  2. In Settings > iTunes and App Stores, sign in with the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases. You might need to sign out first to change the Apple ID.

Mac or PC

1. Enter the Apple ID that you want to use with iCloud on your computer:
  2. Enter the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases in iTunes:

Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID for your iTunes Store account, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days. Learn more about associating a device or computer to your Apple ID.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I merge multiple Apple IDs into one?

No. You can't merge two or more Apple IDs into a single one. You can, however, use one Apple ID for iCloud services and another Apple ID for Store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). See “Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases” for details.

Can I change the name of my Apple ID?

Yes. For example, if you get a new email address, you can change your Apple ID from your old address to your new address. @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs cannot be renamed.

I have purchased music, apps, or books with multiple Apple IDs. How can I get all of this content onto my iOS device?

First, copy all of your purchased content so that it's on the same Mac or PC with iTunes. This computer should be the one you sync your device with.

Next, authorize your computer to play content with each Apple ID in iTunes. After your computer is authorized for all of your content, it can be synced to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

How do I restore an iOS device from an iCloud Backup if I use different Apple IDs for iCloud and store purchases?

When you're first prompted for your Apple ID during the restore process, enter the Apple ID you use for iCloud. After your device restarts, you will be presented with another Apple ID prompt before items from the App Store and iBooks Store begin restoring. This time, sign in with the Apple ID you use for Store purchases.

I have an expired @me.com email address as an Apple ID. Can I use it with iCloud and receive email at that address?

Yes, if it is an @me.com address. To use your expired MobileMe account for iCloud, follow the iCloud setup instructions and enter your expired @me.com email address as your Apple ID. Your @me.com address it will be reactivated for email when you sign up for iCloud.

You will need an active email address associated with your Apple ID to set up iCloud. To add an active email address, go to My Apple ID, sign in with your expired @me.com email address, and add an active email address to your account.

Learn more

For more information on Apple IDs, see Frequently Asked Questions About Apple ID.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Cheers,

- Judy

Can a person have two apple ID's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.