Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

overclocking a Mac mini

ok say you have a Mac mini 2.5 duel core i5 and you overclock it to a 2.8 will the overclocked i5 run hoter then a actual 2.8 that is not overclocked

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 12:59 PM

yes. In fact, overclocking will only work for fractions of seconds, because the processor gets really hot, and stops the overlocking as soon as the proccessor goes up to a certain temperature, whereas the normal 2.8Ghz will have a greater thermal capacity (=greater price), so it will be able to run at 2.8 all the time.

hope it answers. 🙂

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2015 12:59 PM in response to jimmymydude

yes. In fact, overclocking will only work for fractions of seconds, because the processor gets really hot, and stops the overlocking as soon as the proccessor goes up to a certain temperature, whereas the normal 2.8Ghz will have a greater thermal capacity (=greater price), so it will be able to run at 2.8 all the time.

hope it answers. 🙂

Jan 17, 2015 1:01 PM in response to jimmymydude

It should not run hotter. However, it may not satisfactorily operate and may occasionally crash with heavy load. Intel tests chips to find their capability and usually sells them according. However, if they need more lower-speed ships they will mark chips that worked at high speeds with the lower speed.

However, it is my be more complected if the multiplier is locked. In that case the the base frequency has to be increase that included the various system buses as well as the memory and those may have problems

Jan 17, 2015 1:37 PM in response to jimmymydude

jimmymydude wrote:

dang I just thought that is how they get you to pay more by Intel overclocking there procsensors and telling you it's more so you have to pay more I thought it might be the speed of the fan over the processor. I guess I'll have to look around to see if theres anyway around like soft wear or like they say over the Internet hackingtosh.

Have a nice day.

Jan 17, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Japib

I Overclocked my amd back in 2002 just fine but it was windows without it ever crashing and, I bought a gaming computer a year ago and it is a i5 did the same without any issues but, again it was a windows computer some people are crazy apple is better or windows is better I'm in the middle booth are good I have a windows computer a iPhone and a iPad air 2 and want a Mac mini for continuity some people thx for the help everyone

Nov 12, 2016 3:19 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 is right. Intel fabs a wafer and gets a yield of various qualities that are infinitesimal in their deltas, they throw away the total rejects and what's left of that yield is based on highest clocking for design. 2.5GHz is the same silicon as a 2.8GHz in this case, and the ONLY difference is the clocking. Simply put bit error rate determines which rate it will be 'rated' at, running at 2.5GHz vs. 2.8GHz, and the bit error rate is determined by the quality of the paths on the silicon, 'transistors', and paths to various on chip subsystems, on chip L1/2 caches, etc.

overclocking a Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.