Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow application launching in 10.10--will more RAM help?

I have a mid-2011 iMac, 2.7 Ghz i5, 4GB RAM. I recently upgraded from 10.7 to 10.10. I am finding that things seem slower overall. Some of it might be my imagination, but in particular launching applications seems to take significantly longer. Facetime might take 10 "bounces" to launch, whereas I think it used to take 3 or 4, for example. Some small applications that used to take barely a bounce might take 4 or 5. I rechecked on an older Mac running 10.6, and confirmed that it is indeed slower on my 10.10 system. Now, if I quit an application and restart it, it might be fast, but presumedly that is because of the date is still cached.

My question is, how much of this might be RAM related, and will adding more help? 4GB sounds adequate, and Activity Monitor does not show abnormally high memory pressure (in the green), but I would be willing to get more if it will definitely help; or is this more processor or hard drive related, or something different in the way 10.10 loads applications? Can someone with a similar setup as mine confirm/disconfirm that launching applications seems slower, and can someone with more RAM reply with their experience?

Thanks.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 10:35 AM

3 replies

Jan 17, 2015 10:38 AM in response to David Yeh

About OS X Memory Management and Usage

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory & determine how much RAM is used

OS X Mavericks- About Activity Monitor

Understanding top output in the Terminal

The amount of available RAM for applications is the sum of Free RAM and Inactive RAM. This will change as applications are opened and closed or change from active to inactive status. The Swap figure represents an estimate of the total amount of swap space required for VM if used, but does not necessarily indicate the actual size of the existing swap file. If you are really in need of more RAM that would be indicated by how frequently the system uses VM. If you open the Terminal and run the top command at the prompt you will find information reported on Pageins () and Pageouts (). Pageouts () is the important figure. If the value in the parentheses is 0 (zero) then OS X is not making instantaneous use of VM which means you have adequate physical RAM for the system with the applications you have loaded. If the figure in parentheses is running positive and your hard drive is constantly being used (thrashing) then you need more physical RAM.

Adding RAM only makes it possible to run more programs concurrently. It doesn't speed up the computer nor make games run faster. What it can do is prevent the system from having to use disk-based VM when it runs out of RAM because you are trying to run too many applications concurrently or using applications that are extremely RAM dependent. It will improve the performance of applications that run mostly in RAM or when loading programs.

Reinstall Yosemite:

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Also see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it isthree times faster than wireless.

Jan 17, 2015 10:42 AM in response to David Yeh

"launching applications seems to take significantly longer.": launching application uses mainly the Hard Drive, but it is in some way related to RAM:

The thing with your setup is that with 4GB, the OS used to cache A LOT into the RAM, so everything was really smooth. Now, with the Yosemite Update, the RAM is sufficient for the OS, but does not allow a lot of caching.

So RAM definitely speeds up the Process.

Slow application launching in 10.10--will more RAM help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.