Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my Apple wireless keyboard's battery life inaccurate?

Hello.

On my Mac mini (mid-2011) at work, I use a small Apple wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard (no keypad). For several weeks, its upgraded Mac OS X 10.9.5 (all and since 10.7.5) has been showing my battery life going down until 1% (14% was the warning one that alerted me, but I didn't change the battery yet). It has been stuck at 1% for several weeks so far and the keyboard still works fine. It seems like the battery power is inaccurate? Is there a way to get an accurate reading? I'll change its battery once the keyboard starts acting weird/odd. 😉

Thank you in advance. 🙂

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mid 2011,16 GB RAM,Core i5 2.3 GHZ

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 12:49 PM

2 replies

Jan 28, 2015 12:01 PM in response to antdude

I don't know about the Wireless Keyboard, but Apple's Magic Trackpad (MT) is amazingly inaccurate in telling the computer how much power is left. I have a mid 2010 iMac (27", 3.6 GHz i5, 10.10.1). About a week ago, my the iMac reported that the MT had a low battery. Usually, I tend to change the battery when this happens. This time, I decided to just keep on going. Well, it's been more than a week now, and the MT is working fine. The battery charge has been gradually dropping (sort of), and now reads 8%. One day it even went to 40%, but then it dropped back to 9. I don't think this has anything to do with Yosemite, since I had been noticing that the battery life on my MT seemed awfully short, lasting less than 2 weeks on Apple's rechargeable batteries. This has been the case from 10.6 through 10.10.

Jul 16, 2015 3:18 AM in response to antdude

Same thing is happening with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) using an A1314 Apple wireless keyboard with Yosemite 10.10.4. Overnight, after replacing the batteries, the Keyboard battery level (in System Preferences > Keyboard) supposedly went down to 12%. But then I took out the batteries and put them back in, re-paired the keyboard, and then Keyboard battery level went up to 43%. I tried it again, and the level went up to 100%. These were the same batteries.

So clearly the software monitoring the levels is flaky. Also (in System Preferences > Keyboard), clicking the Set Up Bluetooth Keyboard button never finds this keyboard. This is no biggee since the Keyboard prefs themselves seem to work with this wireless keyboard, but stil...

User uploaded file

Is my Apple wireless keyboard's battery life inaccurate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.