Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random 'Unknown' call screen on 4S

Hello - I'm getting a completely random 'Unknown' call screen on my phone. The End Call soft key shows up but it does nothing when I press it. Pressing either of the hard keys also does nothing. The phone did not ring when this screen popped up. Never seen anything like this on my phone before. Thoughts?

User uploaded file

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 12:15 PM

7 replies

Jan 17, 2015 12:33 PM in response to wasabi kun

Looks like the Assistive Touch feature is enabled. To switch it off tripple click the home button

Accessibility Shortcut

Use the Accessibility Shortcut. Press the Home button quickly three times to turn any of these features on or off:

VoiceOver

Invert Colors

Grayscale

Zoom

Switch Control

AssistiveTouch

Guided Access (The shortcut starts Guided Access if it’s already turned on. See Guided Access on page 156.)

Hearing Aid Control (if you have paired Made for iPhone hearing aids)

Choose the features you want to control. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut, then select the accessibility features you use.

copied from page 139 of the user guide iOS8

Jan 17, 2015 6:36 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I know what Unknown caller ID means and I don't agree with your conclusion. Is that how people get points here; posting inane answers? Go back and reread my first post and look at the picture. I was getting a random 'Unknown' screen. R-A-N-D-O-M. I did not say I got a phone call with Unknown caller ID and what does that mean. Matter of fact I said the phone did not ring.

Have you ever seen a call screen that looks like that, with no other options? I haven't. Again, the phone never rang. I did not receive a call, there is no Unknown call in my call log and my screen never displayed Missed Call after the fact. Nor was there an incoming call screen with an option to answer. I was sitting here with my phone and all the sudden the 'Unknown' screen showed up displaying the End Call button and at the same time my phone locked up. The phone wouldn't go back to sleep either. I have never had any type of call where the only option to clear the screen was End Call.

Not sure why people here are getting hung up on the assistive touch. That had nothing to do with the pictured Unknown screen showing up in the first place. And given it seems no call was incoming, something else is amiss here. If you have nothing of value to add about a random 'Unknown' screen that just popped up and locked up my phone, move on. Of three responses only one attempted to at least help unfreeze the phone.

Jan 17, 2015 6:47 PM in response to wasabi kun

Hi

As you probably know - we are all iUsers and people are attempting to try and trouble shoot - so - please - no need to indulge in name calling

As to your issue - for some reason it would seem that the phone received a signal that it recognized as an incoming phone call - whether it was or was not is a matter of debate -

Reason for me saying that is the Name display and End call displays were both triggered

Ostensibly with it not being a real call - it locked your phone momentarily and like you said a real call coming through - wiped the incorrect trigger and with it - the display

Only an expert software engineer who has either seen this before or can analyze the event logs from your phone would be able to give you the correct answer - my answer is merely a surmise to attempt to answer your question

Random 'Unknown' call screen on 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.