Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up POP3 on Hotmail with ios8.1

I am trying to set up POP3 on an iPhone 5S on ios8.1 for Hotmail (Outllook)

Allow POP is enabled in the Hotmail account but irrespective of whether I use Outlook or Other from the phone settings the is no option to select POP or IMAP the phone will only set up email as IMAP.

With earlier version of ios there was always the option to select either POP or IMAP. Microsoft technical department say that the POP option is still enabled for all mobile devices.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I can set up POP on the phone please?

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 12:01 AM

12 replies

Jan 18, 2015 5:11 AM in response to dankton12

Hotmail setting for POP are as follows:

Incoming (POP3) Server

• Server address: pop-mail.outlook.com
  • Port: 995
  • Encrypted Connection: SSL

Outgoing (SMTP) Server

• Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
  • Authentication: Yes
  • Encrypted Connection: TLS

User name: Your full Hotmail email address, including ‘@hotmail.com’.
Password: Your Hotmail account password

Apr 26, 2015 10:06 AM in response to JimHdk

Hi JimHdk,

I can get the IMAP settings to correspond to set up a Hotmail account but not the POP settings though as it says it can't connect to pop-mail.outlook.com when changing it from imap-mail.outlook.com, any other ideas to troubleshoot? I have followed the instructions that both you and Sooner Al posted using my Mum's iPad 2 (MC769B/A) which currently has IOS 8.1.3 as my iPhone 4S (MD258B/A) went to pot when I applied IOS 8.1.2 back in February and unfortunately bricked the chip in my phone and has affected the Wi-Fi receiver (WiFried it), the phone went out of warranty after the warranty was honoured back in December 2012 and is my third replacement from Apple which I have still got sitting around and having to find time to go to my local mobile repair shop who fixed the power button on it last September as the update process for IOS 8.0 bricked my phone from IOS 7.1.2 and couldn't operate the phone without the power button as I needed it to perform the DFU recovery procedure, my first iPhone 4S being the original which I got back in November 2011 and the other 2 (second one I got in December 2012 as well as the third one as the original had IOS issues which were affecting the battery performance followed by a flicking camera on the second one which had to be replaced by a third one which is the one that has got the WiFried issue as well as sometimes having issues with registering SIM cards as well as with iTunes to activate it after doing an IOS update and restore each time using iTunes after IOS 8.1.2 since the phone got bricked), the second and third replacements I'm convinced were refurbished units even though Apple say they don't give out and/or sell refurbished units. Anyway getting back to the current problem in hand, I basically want to help my mate who has iPhone 4S with IOS 8.3 which unfortunately I don't know the model number of who wants to configure his Hotmail account on his phone to pull in messages but not for the messages off the server to be deleted as well as off the phone when initiated from the phone i.e. he only wants the copies of his messages on his phone to be deleted. Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

P.S. I purchased my first iPhone back in November 2010 and sold to my Dad back in November 2011 for the iPhone 4S due to better system performance as well as the new IOS features back in IOS 5.0 despite the frustration of customers when Siri was packaged as a Beta when IOS 5.0 was released.

Apr 26, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Csound1

Hi Csound1,

Thank you for getting back to me back, I have tried part way through your suggestion and the only way I can get the advanced settings for the type of protocol to choose from is to put an incorrect password in as putting the correct password in imports only the IMAP settings and doesn't give you the option to change from IMAP to POP, I'll let you know if I run into further problems.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Apr 26, 2015 10:56 AM in response to RocknRollTim

RocknRollTim wrote:

Hi Csound1,

Thank you for getting back to me back, I have tried part way through your suggestion and the only way I can get the advanced settings for the type of protocol to choose from is to put an incorrect password in as putting the correct password in imports only the IMAP settings and doesn't give you the option to change from IMAP to POP, I'll let you know if I run into further problems.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Many have had to do it that way, but that way works, and you only need to do it once.

May I ask why you want a non-synchronous email account on an IOS device, is this the only device using that email account?

And an FYI

Your settings were not imported, once you identified the account with a valid ID and password Mail queried Microsoft for the default settings to use, which is now IMAP. You could also have depressed the option key during setup and you would have been switched to manual mode, but as I said, the method you used will work.

Apr 26, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Csound1

Hi Csound1,

The reason why I want a non-synchronous email account on an IOS device is to test for my mate mentioned in post 4. With regards to my email account, this is isn't the only device it is synchronised to, in fact it is synchronised with a number of devices probably 10 or more, I have now set the POP setting in Outlook.com to Enable with

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Apr 26, 2015 2:23 PM in response to RocknRollTim

I'm having trouble understanding this bit:

I have now set the POP setting in Outlook.com to Enable with Don't let devices or apps delete messages from Outlook.com. If the app or device is set to delete, Outlook.com will move the messages to a special POP folder instead, this should now enable devices to configure my email account with POP. I'll continue to keep you posted.

Here's the POP account workflow:

Mail arrives at server, client makes a 'collect' run, mail is or is not removed from server.

User deletes mail in client, server has no way of knowing that as the account is not synchronous ...

Then what?

Aug 2, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Csound1

Hi Csound1,

Sorry for the very long in getting back to you, I still haven't had a moment to write up what I did in April but have provided you a screenshot below illustrating which options need to be enabled in an Outlook account before running through the mail setup process on an IOS device.

User uploaded file

Hope this illustrates and explains what I did back in April to get mail from my Hotmail account to work temporarily on my Mum's iPad 2 using POP whilst I was getting my iPhone 4S fixed at the beginning of June at our local mobile repair shop which 2 weeks later it broke again after applying IOS 8.3 and just after their 2 week warranty too, still debating on whether to get it fixed again or to get rid of it for spares and repairs and to wait for the new iPhone next month.

Regards,

RocknRollTim

Set up POP3 on Hotmail with ios8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.