Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

understanding i cloud

understanding icloud

I has actually been very difficult to get precise ,clear information on the net ,as to how a "simpleton " can get going with the cloud and to basic functionally of the whole concept

Most sites talk about 'i cloud drive ' and others TELL YOU WHAT THE CLOUD DOES ,but dont tell you how to set it all up and use it with clear graphic/illiustrated examples.

so i have eventually ,from my own intuition and a certain understanding of mac ,finally made some progress

OK i am new to i cloud

i own 3 apple devices--iphone/macbook/imac.

i have opened an apple iCloud account /id., and have sync,d the devices toghether using system preferences ,photo stream (i photo)

It appears to work

however i still have many unanswered questions

and I would be grateful for help..................for starters:-

a)I believe that the correct way/Only way to access the saved info is through iCloud .com ?

b) is the saved information all bundled together ,or is it possible to access each devices' content individually?

c) from what i understand ,it is only possible for iCloud to store MAC software created documents etc.. (e.g. pages /numbers) ? if this is the case

How can i back up my other documents.

d) where how do i access the cloud from my i phone ?

thanks in advance for answers

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 3:44 AM

a) the "correct" way to access the saved files is through your devices (see (b)). It's integrated in OS X and iOS. The iCloud.com is just a way to access your iCloud files if you don't have a nearby Mac or iOS Device.

b) everything is bundled. in fact all the info on one device will be exactly the same as what is on the other devices.

c) You can use the iCloud Drive to backup any file you want, to get it synced through all your Apple Products.

d) from many apps: for ex:

• the Calendar app will give you the Calendar data
  • the Notes app will have your iCloud notes.
  • the iWork apps will have your Pages/Keynote/Numbers documents
  • safari will have your synced browsing history etc.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2015 3:44 AM in response to gileswater

a) the "correct" way to access the saved files is through your devices (see (b)). It's integrated in OS X and iOS. The iCloud.com is just a way to access your iCloud files if you don't have a nearby Mac or iOS Device.

b) everything is bundled. in fact all the info on one device will be exactly the same as what is on the other devices.

c) You can use the iCloud Drive to backup any file you want, to get it synced through all your Apple Products.

d) from many apps: for ex:

• the Calendar app will give you the Calendar data
  • the Notes app will have your iCloud notes.
  • the iWork apps will have your Pages/Keynote/Numbers documents
  • safari will have your synced browsing history etc.

Jan 18, 2015 4:12 AM in response to gileswater

The best starting point for iCloud is this page: http://help.apple.com/icloud/#mmd0558ce3

To answer your questions we would need to know how you want to use iCloud. There are so many different ways to use it.

a)I believe that the correct way/Only way to access the saved info is through iCloud .com ?

No, you can access most info on iCloud.com, but if an application supports iCloud like the iWork apps or Pixelmator, for example, all devices should be able to access the documents directly. And iCloud Drive will just look like an external drive on all your Macs, so you can see the docments like on any external drive.

b) is the saved information all bundled together ,or is it possible to access each devices' content individually?

iCloud is a common storage for all device. It is not separated by device. If you update a document on one device, the changes will be synced to all devices. (iCloud Drive FAQ)

c) from what i understand ,it is only possible for iCloud to store MAC software created documents etc.. (e.g. pages /numbers) ? if this is the case

You can store any kind of document on iCloud Drive, not just native Mac applications. The documents will be stored in iCloud, and synced to other Macs. But to open the documents on your iPhone or iPad, you need an iCloud compatible application on the mobile device, that can open the document. For example, I store all LateX documents in iCloud. I can use them on all Macs, but not on my iPhone, for want of LaTeX on the iPhone. But don't store packages in iCloud, only documents or compressed folders. Don't move your iPhoto Libraries to iCloud Drive. The updating will break the references inside the database entries and corrupt the library.

How can i back up my other documents.

iCloud is not meant for backing up Mac documents at all, neither native Apple apps nor third party apps. It is meant to store them and sync them. Any edit you do will be updated immediately across all devices. If you accidentally delete a document, it will be gone from all devices and you cannot restore it. Use Time Machine to backup your Macs.

iCloud does only backup your mobile devices: See: iCloud: Backup and restore overview

d) where how do i access the cloud from my i phone ?

By opening an application that can access iCloud for each type of document you store in iCloud. You enable the iCloud ready apps in the Settings > iCloud.

Jan 19, 2015 3:47 AM in response to léonie

Hi leonie

thanks for your reply i am beginning to understand ,E.G > i can now see that the calendar info is shared between the devices

Question c.......is still a mystery though

I have documents and other stuff which i want to share between devices using i cloud ,

They are mainly stored in my documents folders, in the 'documents section' FINDER.

How do i share them ?

Jan 19, 2015 5:40 AM in response to gileswater

I have documents and other stuff which i want to share between devices using i cloud ,

They are mainly stored in my documents folders, in the 'documents section' FINDER.

Are your other devices mobile devices with iOS 8 or other macs?

To share the documents with mobile devices, copy them to the predefined application folders on iCloud drive - Keynote documents to the "Keynote" folder, TextEdit documents to the "TextEdit" folder on iCloud Drive, etc.

User uploaded file

You can copy any document type to iCloud Drive, and move the documents into custom folders you create on your own, if you simply want to share the documents between Macs.

Jan 19, 2015 7:37 AM in response to léonie

hi

As mentioned above i have a macbook/i mac/iphone

if i understand you correctly

apple related apps like calendar etc. will automatically corelate /bundle together. across devices

but,the way to share documents is only using i cloud drive

However do do this i need to COPY OR DRAG these documents from their original place into the I CLOUD DRIVE SECTION in finder

Where i may find apple related folders such as numbers pages etc for apple related application documents etc

and i should create my own folders and documents locations for non -apple

so where would i visualise these documents on the i phone ?

understanding i cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.