Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages layout features missing?

Just switched to Pages 5 from Pages 09...

Can Pages 5 do the the following???

1) Link text boxes so text can flow from one text box to another?

2) Can you create master pages?

3) Can you copy or duplicate entire pages?

All of these features were available in the previous version of Pages.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 4:56 AM

12 replies

Jan 18, 2015 6:07 AM in response to yerrato

1. Linked Text boxes are not supported
  2. No links to external pages documents, or document imports
  3. No contextual duplicate on thumbnails, or page duplication

Pages v5 (any release) is not an evolution of Pages '09 v4.3 features/funtionality. It was a complete rewrite that also introduced a new document architecture that is not backwards compatible with Pages '09 v4.3, and at least twice with itself. It is missing over 100 functional items from Pages '09 v4.3, that you will find frustrating — coming from the older Pages. You won't be able to open RTF, Pages '08, or AppleWorks documents — all now unsupported.

Due to missing Pages v5 functionality, Pages '09 documents will silently have content alterered, or removed from them when opened. Have linked Text boxes? These will not be linked when opened in Pages v5. Same drill with linked documents. Should Pages v5 auto-save your opened Pages '09 document - you better have a backup document, or your content will lost. Any double-click of a Pages document will open it in Pages v5.

If Pages '09 v4.3 was installed on your MacBook Pro before Pages v5, it was quietly moved into /Applications/iWork '09 location, and is still usable under Maverick and Yosemite 10.10.1.

Jan 18, 2015 8:07 AM in response to yerrato

Yes Pages '09 it should still be in your Applications/iWork folder.

There is nothing that does waht Pages '09 does. closest is Word for Mac but not entirely. LibreOffice [free] and then possibly Swift Publisher which lacks the WP facilities and active spreadsheets.

We are all waiting on Affinity Publisher maybe due the end of this year.

Meanwhile keep using Pages '09 and Rate/Review Pages 5.5.2 in the App Store. Here in Australia it is finally getting a solid 100% 1 star, we "hate it".

Peter

Jan 21, 2015 9:43 AM in response to yerrato

Glad it is not just me! I foolishly "upgraded" to Pages 5 some time ago. I don't do much complex work these days (I've retired!) so apart from being curious as to why Apple had changed things they way they did I simply carried on and found my way around the "new" version. Until today........when I discovered that I can no longer use linked text boxes. What genius decided that anyone connected with any kind of publishing would not want linked boxes. I learned my original basic skills on QuarkXpress back in the early 1990's and linked text boxes was one of the first things I learned to master all those years ago.

Since then I've dabbled with Pagemaker (yuk!) InDesign and a couple of freebies of which I have forgotten the names. They all had one thing in common - LINKED BOXES!

Why have you done this Apple? Even with the very small amount of work I do these days this has made me start looking for some other software to use - I'm sure I'm not alone.

Apr 26, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Mike Watts

I so agree, Mike - and thanks for letting me know I wasn't going crazy. I followed the same path you did and was thinking Pages was pretty good. I've just been moving over my Word documents to Pages - and now I discover that what appeared an innocent upgrade has pretty much ruined a lot of my files. I can't believe any desktop publishing software would do away with linked boxes (and you'd made them so simple to do, too). Apple, I'm a true believer and have been for many years, but you've really messed up this time around! ;-(

Apr 26, 2015 9:54 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

This is all very confusing. When I open and look under About Pages, it shows Version 4.1 but today when I opened an existing file, it put up a box that said something about upgrading, I was working on a deadline and I didn't pay much attention to it - not sure what I did, but I'm usually very cautious about upgrading. All I know is that the background was different and nothing was where it should be either in the format of my document or the software. I fixed my document and went on, only to discover I could no longer link text boxes, which got me here. The odd thing - and perhaps you can clarify for me, Peter - is that when I open other documents and check my version, I'm still in Pages, version 4.1, but when I go to open the file I worked on today, it won't open for me - I get a message that states "the required index.xml file is missing."

Jean

Apr 26, 2015 3:45 PM in response to JeanP3

You have two versions of Pages on your Mac.

Pages '09 in your Applications/iWork folder.

Pages 5.5.3 in your Applications folder.

Both versions create .pages documents but they are actually different incompatible formats.

Pages '09 can't open Pages 5.5.3 files and Pages 5.5.3 opens and converts Pages '09 files with varying degrees of accuracy.

Best is to stick with Pages '09 which is the most capable and compatible. Pages 5.5.3 is missing over 100+ features and only works in Yosemite.

You can Export the Pages 5.5.3 documents back to Pages '09 format and make sure you open the correct version of your file by right clicking on it and going Open With…

Peter

Apr 27, 2015 9:38 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks, Peter - I finally figured that out and with your helpful suggestions exported my file back to its original 09 version. Very upsetting process and why the 5.5.3 version decided to take over suddenly I don't know. I've never used it before and this was a new file created long after I began using Yosemite. I'll definitely be using the 09 version. Thanks again!

Apr 28, 2015 9:47 PM in response to lenafromnashville

Some people used the Word Processor mode for everything, including layout. What was so impressive about 09 is that it gave you the option to do either. Pure layout mode is delightful for real layout work. It allows easy layering of objects. and quick placement on the page without always having to make the object "float."

I still can't believe linked text boxes are missing. All good layout programs use them, which means that the developers are giving up on layout mode.

I never thought Pages would go the way of Appleworks but it seems to be. The latest iPhoto update breaks the Pages 09 media browser. Opening the old iPhoto brings the browser back but it is only a matter of time before the latest updates breaks Pages completely. Share doesn't work anymore. What features will we see go next?

I have done many hundreds of Pages Layout projects. Hands down this is one of the nicest programs out there. it will be a real shame to have to migrate to the clunky alternatives.

Pages layout features missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.