Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV crashes after activating Netflix Subtitles

There is a Problem with the Netflix App on ATV3, whenever i activate subtitles in Netflix the program crashes and ATV "soft" reboots to home screen.

I can fix the Problem with a reboot sometimes, but id does not work every time and i need to reset ATV3 completely.

Apple, please try to fix this with the next ATV update!

Thank you.

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 9:10 AM

2 replies

Jan 28, 2016 11:43 PM in response to Stefan_Diefenbacher

I already contacted Netflix support regarding this issue and after 2 hours of chat with support and engineers they couldn't solve the problem!

Any way i found a solution to fix the crash at least. So instead of reseting the Apple TV, just open Netflix on the iPhone or iPad and airplay any movie to the Apple TV, disable the subtitles and that way you'll be able to launch the Netflix app back on the apple TV without crashing.

I was even able to fix the subtile issue in that way but it's not guaranteed to work:

1. airplay a movie from the iPhone.

2. enable subtitles from the iPhone app

3. With the Apple TV remote (hold the middle button to access the subtitle menu) and set it to Auto.

4. Wait 2 minutes

5. Stop air-playing and launch the Netflix app on the Apple TV and hopefully the movie will work with subtitles

Note that this method worked on my TV room Apple TV but not on my other one, so it's not guaranteed and i would recommend to retry the above steps many times...

Hope this help since Netflix and Apple support did not offer any solutions, but instead they threw the blame on each other then on ISPs....

For the record, this is Netflix recommended solution for the problem which doesn't fix anything:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13201

Apple TV crashes after activating Netflix Subtitles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.