Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Windows 8.1 Overheating on Macbook Pro Mid 2014

Hello, I recently bought a mid 2014 retina Macbook Pro a few months ago. I got the 2.5Ghz intel i7 16GB RAM. After buying it, I installed Windows 8.1 Pro via bootcamp. So at the moment I'm running Yosemite and Windows 8.1 (Bootcamp). The fan and overheating is not an issue when I'm using Yosemite, and the temperature hovers at around 40 celsius (50-55 celsius when playing games). However, when I switch to Windows, my average temperature is 55-60 celsius. When i play games, it gets up to 80 celsius and the fan runs at full speed. I have a program to monitor my fan speed on windows, but i hate how its so loud and i feel like I'm wrecking my laptop when its at 70 celsius because its really hot to even touch! Is there a way to run windows 8.1 bootcamp and still have it run at 40-55 celsius without the fan running at full power all the time? Please help!! Thank You!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2017 12:19 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, I had the same issue with a MacBook Pro 2015 and Windows 10.

In my case what I changed was the maximum processor state to 50% (it was at 100%) to avoid loss all the CPU performance and with that the temperature decreased to 60º (from 80º) and the noisy fan is gone, just the normal noise as when I am using OS X.

I will play a little bit more with the % of the max. proc. state to compare the temp vs computer performance, for now, what I detected is that Win10 takes a little bit more to start.

Thanks!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2017 12:19 PM in response to kikosh

Thank you for the suggestion, I had the same issue with a MacBook Pro 2015 and Windows 10.

In my case what I changed was the maximum processor state to 50% (it was at 100%) to avoid loss all the CPU performance and with that the temperature decreased to 60º (from 80º) and the noisy fan is gone, just the normal noise as when I am using OS X.

I will play a little bit more with the % of the max. proc. state to compare the temp vs computer performance, for now, what I detected is that Win10 takes a little bit more to start.

Thanks!

May 19, 2017 8:17 AM in response to diegoku

From my understanding, lets assume a cpu has 1.3ghz base and 2.6ghz turbo

100% maximum state = CPU can turboboost when applicable to 2.6ghz

99% state = Turboboost disabled. Maximum speed = 1.3ghz

50% state = half the 1.3ghz speed (600mhz?)

It would certainly help in keeping heat at bay, Ideally 99% would give just as dramatic improvement as 50% (as turboboost would be disabled at 99%)

Jun 5, 2017 6:26 AM in response to thealgo

My MacBook Pro Late-2011 with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM upgrades had the Core1 CPU running above 90 degrees at idle (no apps loaded except Chrome) as shown in Macs Fan Control, when in Windows 10 on Bootcamp. No temperature issues in El Capitan. The fans in Bootcamp run at max (6,200RPM) all the time, but don't seem to reduce the temp. This is a common problem reported on many threads, but the advice here seems to work (perhaps, at some cost to performance, but I'm not worried by this since I'm not doing anything requiring huge performance).

I took thealgo's advice and set the maximum processor state to 99% for both battery and powered modes. Immediately temps dropped from 90C down to 50-59C , but the fans continued at max. I then used Macs Fan Control to set the fans to respond to the Core1 temperature sensor, coming on at 40 degrees and setting a max temp of 59 degrees C. This seems to work well. The case is suddenly cool enough to rest on my lap, and the Cores stay in the low 50 degrees C range. No noticeable effect on performance.

Thanks for this.

Jun 5, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Ruadh2

Okay, after a couple of hours trial, I still think I have a little way to go. I find that when the MBP goes to sleep in Bootcamp mode, the fan goes to max again. When I then wake it, the Core 1 processor is in the low 80s degrees, and after a few minutes it goes back to below 60 again. I'll have to do some fine tuning, and find out what's happening when it sleeps. But progress....

Feb 11, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Loner T

It`s not beacuse of the case. I have the same problem with a macbook pro retina 15 late 2013 (I7 - 2.3 Ghz, 16 GB, 512 SSD, GT750M) with windows 8.1 on bootcamp. The temperature is higher than yosemite. It gets easily at 80 celsius in a demanding game, while on yosemite it barely reaches 55-60 under heavy load. It`s beacuse of windows, and these are the temperatures, I got the same average 55-60 in windows and 45 celsius in yosemite. I read on the forums and I tried evend with a cooler pad. But it doesn`t seem to be any improvement with lowering the temperature in windows.

Bootcamp Windows 8.1 Overheating on Macbook Pro Mid 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.