Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bending of the iPhone 6?

I'm planning to purchase a iPhone 6 with AppleCare+, however from what I've seen on social media it seems like the iPhone 6 bends.

I don't wear skinny jeans, nor abuse my phones, I use it like a regular phone, I'm just afraid that the phone will bend even with a case

Would Apple replace it free?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 1:19 PM

27 replies

Jan 18, 2015 7:25 PM in response to jayonegame

Of course its going to bend where the buttons are. That's it's weakest point - where the holes are. It's not indestructible. It's an aluminum phone with a glass front but as the test has shown it will take quite a bit of pressure before it bends. If you think its too fragile for the way you have to use your phone - don't buy it. No one here will care.

Jan 19, 2015 10:44 AM in response to ABBZ120

The I phone 6 will absolutely bend! I have had mine since the day they were released, and put it in an otterbox defender the same day. Im currently looking for a slimmer case, and when I removed it from the otterbox on Saturday , it was bent right below the volume buttons.

Do not claim it is media hype. It is actual fact!

Jan 19, 2015 11:14 AM in response to smf815

If it bent in your otterbox defender case then you put sufficient pressure on it (see the Consumer Reports link posted earlier, which also covers other smartphones) to bend it. Period. Has nothing to do with the media or anything else. Put enough pressure on aluminum it will bend. I haven't put that level of pressure on mine and it hasn't bent.

What has changed is unless you grew by several inches after buying the iPhone 6 it is easier to apply that much pressure on a larger phone. Go back to a smaller phone and it is less likely you will bend it. This is particularly true if you carry it in your front or back pocket.

Jan 19, 2015 11:36 AM in response to deggie

You can spin , anyway you want.

I understand apple doesn't want a recall.

But I know what the truth is. I don't carry it in my pocket, I use an otterbox with clip.

The phone bent , period. Another company would warranty it. It is only a slight bend, and I was able to re-press the aluminum that puckered back straight. But the phone does wobble a little when laying flat.

You can go about spouting the company line , all you want. I have no reason to lie, about it. I haven't filed a claim. I just feel like, those who are considering buying one, should know the facts. You don't have to go about claiming others are lying , or they are using the phone wrong. Manufacturing defects happen all the time , in all businesses. Apple clearly has an issue with these models. Whether you want to admit it or not.

Jan 19, 2015 11:38 AM in response to smf815

smf815 wrote:

The I phone 6 will absolutely bend! I have had mine since the day they were released, and put it in an otterbox defender the same day. Im currently looking for a slimmer case, and when I removed it from the otterbox on Saturday , it was bent right below the volume buttons.

Do not claim it is media hype. It is actual fact!

Why sure it will bend. It's been shown over and over again they can bend. No one will disagree with you. I only have mine in a Apple leather case and it's still like new. As you can read in the Consumer Report article all the phones they tested can be bent. You just need to take better care of your phones.

Jan 19, 2015 11:47 AM in response to smf815

Come on. The phone didn't bend on its own. Quite a bit of pressure was put on the phone to bend it inside the case. You think Lexus will replace a dented hood when someone says "I don't know how it happened. Honestly, the car was just parked in my garage and it bent." Why should any phone manufacturer be any different.

Jan 19, 2015 11:53 AM in response to pogster

They shouldn't , and like I've said, its a slight bend and ill live with it. But you really think , they designed it to bend? Its clearly and engineering defect. Why cant you admit it?

I use apple all the time, I but their products, will not change. Will get the next iPhone avail in 2 years. Apple make great products, but in this 1 case a mistake was made. Just own up to it.

Jan 19, 2015 12:05 PM in response to smf815

I'm not spinning it in any direction. Perhaps you installed it incorrectly in your otterbox or it was defective.

But for it to bend you have to put the amount of pressure cited in the Consumer Reports test with is doable but not trivial.

All aluminum will bend if enough pressure is applied to it. Don't but that much pressure and it won't bend. It is all a matter of physics it has nothing to do with hype, poor materials, etc. There will not be a recall and there is no engineering defect unless you call using aluminum and making a larger phone a defect. All other smartphones bend, especially if they are made of aluminum, which lots of manufacturers are now using because of reducing cost, thickness and weight.

Apple can do a couple of things for people who seem to have this issue: Make a iPhone 6 nano that is the same size as the 5c/5s. These would be smaller and less prone to bending. Or make a titanium iPhone 6 at a much, much higher cost.

This whole issue has pretty much died off and there are millions of non-bent iPhones being used.

Jan 19, 2015 12:11 PM in response to deggie

Oh I understand the logic.

Ostrich style. put head in the sand. And claim there haven't been many issues. And ignore until no one want to complain.

You can claim it users fault all you want. I have nothing to gain from it . I have not asked for anything. But I wont ignore , that apple has produced an inferior product this time.

Jan 19, 2015 12:11 PM in response to smf815

smf815 wrote:

They shouldn't , and like I've said, its a slight bend and ill live with it. But you really think , they designed it to bend? Its clearly and engineering defect. Why cant you admit it?

I use apple all the time, I but their products, will not change. Will get the next iPhone avail in 2 years. Apple make great products, but in this 1 case a mistake was made. Just own up to it.

The vast majority of iPhone 6 units have no 'bending issue'. You (somehow) put excessive pressure or force on the device.

Just own up to it.

Bending of the iPhone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.