Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple Sotre Encryption Password for External HD?

HI I have a hardrive that I've encrypted from the Mac desktop. I want to know if Apple has the encryption key stored. It is an external hardrive, not Macintosh HD but I'm pretty sure it used Firevault. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Yosemite 10.10

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 12:26 PM

10 replies

Jan 18, 2015 12:31 PM in response to andrew54941

it depends:

if each time you plug the external drive:

• it asks for the password, then it isn't stored at all
  • it doesn't ask for the password and automatically connects to it, then it means the password is saved in your computer in "Keychain"
    • if you set keychain sync in iCloud, then it is synced as well on Apple servers
    • if iCloud keychain is off, it is only saved on you computer.

Jan 18, 2015 12:31 PM in response to andrew54941

No. You will need to know your password or recovery key.

OS X Yosemite: Encrypt the contents of your Mac with FileVault

WARNING: Don’t forget your recovery key. If you turn on FileVault and then forget your login password and cannot reset it, and you also forget your recovery key, you won’t be able to log in and your files and settings will be lost forever.

Jan 18, 2015 8:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks great answer!

However now I am stuck with my entire life memories on an encrypted Hardrive...😢

I dont know what to do... If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Positive suggestions please, don't tell me to erase it and there is no other way to retrieve it.

Apple said they will call me back in a couple days to see if they can do anything but I doubt it.

Jan 18, 2015 8:57 PM in response to andrew54941

I take it that you have a disk that's already encrypted and the password is lost. Apple won't be able to help you. Your only hope is that the password is possible to guess, using whatever information you have about it. For example, you might remember that the password was a phrase consisting of dictionary words. If the data is valuable to you, a data-recovery consultant such as "Drive Savers" might be able to automate the process of trying guess the password, so that there might be some chance of cracking it in your lifetime. But those services are very expensive.

If you ever saved the password in the keychain of computer you still own, there might be a slim chance of recovering it that way.

Jan 18, 2015 9:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Ya thats what I'm trying to do now is go through my keychains in time machine and see if I have it.

The reason my password Is not working, I've discovered, is because after I typed in what I wanted my password to be I hit that little stupid key symbol on the right.

After I hit the key, not realizing that it changed my password I hit encrypt.

User uploaded file

Thank you so much for your help Linc.

I Appreciate it!

Does Apple Sotre Encryption Password for External HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.