Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 2 choppy video playback when mirroring from Macbook Pro (Yosemite) and Macbook Air (Yosemite) but not iOS devices

Video playback is choppy (cuts out every 30-45 seconds) when air playing from both my MacBook Air 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 running Yosemite and my husbands new MacBook Pro, but runs perfectly when mirroring from any of our iOS devices (iPhone 6+, iPad mini 3, etc.) We have Apple TV 2. This problem just started a few weeks ago, was working fine around Christmas. The problem seems to have coincidentally started right after our son tried plugging in and setting up his Chromecast on our tv. I disconnected the Chromecast, but we still have the problem. All of our software if up to date and I've tried disconnecting blue tooth, we do not have a microwave and our wifi network has a very strong signal. We have an Airport Extreme base station. Is there a solution to our problem?

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 1:20 PM

2 replies

Jan 20, 2015 7:00 AM in response to leahmturner

Hi leahmturner,

I see that you are experiencing an issue with choppiness while AirPlay Mirroring from your computers to your Apple TV. I have an article that contains some helpful troubleshooting steps for you regarding this issue:

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201343

Optimizing image quality

Resolution matching modes

You can choose between two desktop resolution matching modes that let you select which display will have the best image. When AirPlay Mirroring is turned on, select an option under "Match Desktop Size To:" in the AirPlay Mirroring menu extra.

User uploaded file

Match Desktop Size To: Apple TV
AirPlay Mirroring changes the desktop resolution to best match your Apple TV, resulting in a 16:9 image that fills the HDTV screen. This setting often produces the sharpest image on the HDTV. The aspect ratio and/or resolution of the built-in Mac display may change to accommodate the Apple TV.

Match Desktop Size To: This Mac
AirPlay Mirroring scales the contents of the desktop to fit on the Apple TV, leaving the resolution of your Mac's display unchanged. Use this setting for the sharpest image on your Mac's display. Depending on your Mac model, the resulting image may not fill the HDTV screen.

Troubleshooting AirPlay Mirroring

If you don't see mirroring options

If your Mac and Apple TV are on the same network, but no AirPlay Mirroring menu appears, your Apple TV may be asleep. Simply press a button on your Apple TV remote to wake it up. After a few seconds, the AirPlay Mirroring menu extra appears. If you still don't see the options you expect, make sure your Apple TV has the current software update installed. Also make sure that you have the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" option selected in the Displays pane of System Preferences.

User uploaded file

If the menu bar or Dock is cropped

Some HDTVs have bezels that cover a small percentage of the screen. This can result in a slight cropping of a full-resolution HDTV image. Depending on the HDTV model, AirPlay Mirroring may automatically adjust the picture size to prevent cropping. If you are using OS X Mountain Lion or later, and you see cropping of the menu bar or Dock when using AirPlay Mirroring, toggle the Overscan correction option in Displays preferences.

User uploaded file

Minimize video post-processing

HDTVs often apply picture quality enhancements intended to improve the look of film and video sources. In some cases, these enhancements can lead to over-sharpening artifacts when displaying your Mac desktop. Some HDTV models have built-in settings to change or disable the enhancements for use with a computer (computer, presentation, or game modes). Otherwise, the controls for sharpness, detail enhancement and noise reduction can be used to optimize the appearance of the Mac desktop. Consult your HDTV’s manual for guidance on the appropriate settings for use with a computer.

Firewall security settings

If you use a firewall, make sure the following firewall security options have been set to allow AirPlay Mirroring to work:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu ().
  2. Click Security & Privacy, then click Firewall.
  3. Click the lock icon to unlock it if it's locked, then type an administrator name and password.
  4. Click Firewall Options.
  5. Deselect (uncheck) the “Block all incoming connections” checkbox.
  6. Select (check) the “Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections” checkbox.

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities!

Regards,

Braden

Apple TV 2 choppy video playback when mirroring from Macbook Pro (Yosemite) and Macbook Air (Yosemite) but not iOS devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.