Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to logon with iChat using OS Tiger 10.4.11

I am running Tiger 10.4.11 and I am trying to logon with ichat but it only offers aol messenger and @mac.com options. Is there a software update that will allow me to logon with @me.com using the current tiger? I am unable to update the OS system as this is the last update for this type of computer which is a G5 PowerPC.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 1:57 PM

1 reply

Jan 19, 2015 2:08 PM in response to jerryfromnt

Hi,

Whilst it is true the @mac.com option no longer gives you access to the Registration Page you will also find more recent Changes to AIM acceptance of @mac.com and @Me.com ID is also limited.

At the end of June 2014 the single Login to AIM with an Apple (issued) ID stopped working.

Later versions of iChat 6 and the messages app in Mountain Lion and later do a double login to both Apple and AIM that allows one to verify the other is allowed to read the password.

I.e. the process for logging on used in Leopard and iChat 4.x.x is not deemed to be secure enough. The same is true of your earlier version as well.

I have a G4 that is running Leopard (OS X 10.5.8 to be precise and iChat 4.0.9) so you could update one more OS (I am not sure whether it would cost or not and there may be little benefit from doing so as far as iChat goes)

You should also have the Jabber option.

This can be made to work with Google and Facebook if you have those IDs.

As I take it most of your Buddies are AIM ones your only real option is to register and AIM at AIM and use that.
AOL is AIM. Start here https://settings.aim.com/ and th get a Screen Name option top right.

User uploaded file

10:08 pm Monday; January 19, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Trying to logon with iChat using OS Tiger 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.