Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iBooks offline

How do I use iBooks offline. For example - in airplane mode or out of wifi access?

thank you

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1, 128 gb

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 3:27 PM

Make sure they are downloaded onto your iPad before going offline. If they appear in iBooks with a cloud on their icon, download them first before going offline by clicking the cloud.

12 replies

Nov 21, 2017 4:53 PM in response to Shirley in Devon

1. Transfer the books from Mac to iPad via iCloud.

2. Use Files app to access the books from iPad. Open them in iBooks and download them from cloud while connected to internet.

3. Once it's done, go to iCloud location in Files app, select all the books and move to the "On my iPad" location (for eg., Keynote folder). Turn off internet and see if you can open the books from "On my iPad" location.

Jan 19, 2015 1:25 AM in response to bobseufert

Yes, I can open PDFs in ibooks but there doesn't seem to be a way to download them permanently. Although they appear to be sitting there, I cannot open them offline and if I try to, the whole app disappears.

I've even found that the downloaded iPad manual for instance does not remain accessible offline for any length of time.

I must be doing something wrong.

thanks for your help anyway.

Jan 19, 2015 1:51 AM in response to Shirley in Devon

You're welcome. Now I understand what you meant by they appear to be sitting there, I didn't know where there was. It sounds like you're doing it correctly. I have a iPhone PDF and tested and it seems to work fine. When you say the whole app disappears do you mean it's returning to the home screen. If so that means the app is crashing. I wonder if one of the PDFs is causing this behavior.

Jan 19, 2015 2:17 AM in response to bobseufert

Just tried again and it seemed to be working - went offline and opened iPad and iPhone manuals OK and then tried my lumix manual - it worked. Then tried the Seagate manual, it worked for a few pages and then the app crashed again.

Couldnt resurrect the iBooks app at all until I'd switched back online.

As you suggested, it looks like the PDFs are causing the problem. Think I'll have to order a printed manual for my camera.

I will try again, just using the apple content on iBooks to check that they continue to operate offline.

many thanks for your help

Using iBooks offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.